Unfired Win Model 70 Super Shadow in 270 WSM - What's the value?

ClearCreek

Thought I would run this by the members on here as I know they are savvy on matters like this.

A friend has a new, never fired, Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in 270 WSM. The rifle is several years old but, never fired.

How much do you think this firearm is worth if he decides to sell it?

Thanks for any info you can contribute.

ClearCreek

Have seen them for $700.00 a couple times over past two years.
Not a common caliber though. Not a lot of them around in that caliber, but not alot of people wanting that caliber either. Tuff finding ammo and not a huge selection of bullets for the reloader.

There’s been one (exact model and caliber) for sale locally (Southern California) going on three years at $575 with no hits.
It’s an odd ball cartridge that had potential but never really took off. In today’s stores loaded ammo is expensive and not commonly stocked. Most people will just stick to a regular 270 or step up to a 270 Weatherby as the WSM generally falls right between the two in speed.
I’m an odd ball cartridge type of guy and do a lot of reloading. I picked up a used Howa 1500 270WSM for just under $300.

Last edited:
The Winchester Super Shadows were *one* of Winchester's answers to the Remington ADL (no floorplate) and they sold new with a cheap scope for about $400 in the early 2000s if I'm remembering correctly. Now you can find them on gunbroker with and without scopes under $400 with no hits (at least the last time I checked--I kinda wanted one to play with in 270wsm or 7wsm)

Winchester then went out of business and was bought by FN/Browning to continue making firearms. The gun is not anything special, especially when compared to what you can get a new budget Winchester (XPR) for these days, or a Savage Trophy, or a Howa.

It takes regular old .277” bullets, of which there are tons of options.

The .277 bullet isn't in weights that would be heavy enough for a good long range "magnum" caliber.
The .277 isn't nearly as option ritch as the .30 or the current popular 6.5 calibers.
But a 150gr bullet in a few options is plenty for most game in the .270 Winchester.
That's a little light for a caliber that can push a heavier bullet faster, like the short mags.
That's how I'm looking at it anyway.

The .277 bullet isn't in weights that would be heavy enough for a good long range "magnum" caliber.
The .277 isn't nearly as option ritch as the .30 or the current popular 6.5 calibers.
But a 150gr bullet in a few options is plenty for most game in the .270 Winchester.
That's a little light for a caliber that can push a heavier bullet faster, like the short mags.
Plenty of heavies for a .270 whether "regular" or magnum. It's all twist related. mtmuley

170gr .277 bullet is a pretty stout bullet. Also I’ve used the 150gr Berger to kill plenty of animals from a 270WSM and it works extremely well. At times I wish I had never sold my 270WSM.

I have one in 7mm WSM that I bought in the early 2000's. It has the Controlled Round Push Feed(CRPF) action that seemed to be featured on the less expensive rifles of that time. The ULTIMATE shadow however was the more expensive version that featured the Controlled Round Feed(CRF) action that seemed to be more desirable. Mine is a good shooter. It's been my primary deer rifle for many years now.

I bought mine new for around $425ish. I doubt they have appreciated in value, although they are some of the last rifles to be made in the old New Haven factory so that may add some value for some folks. I've seen several on the used racks lately for $500+, but they're not selling. In my opinion you could probably get $300-$400 ballpark.

Last edited:
Plenty of heavies for a .270 whether "regular" or magnum. It's all twist related. mtmuley

I sure must be missing those heavy .277 bullets on the shelves of any of the places I buy bullets .
I know Burger makes a 170gr., but have never seen them any place.
Who else makes .277 bullets heavier than 150gr. and where can you get them?
You guys out west have different stuff available I'm sure.
But I can't see it being as what could be called tons, or plenty of options as compared to other calibers.
Haven't seen a production rifle that had a chamber and twist to use a .277 call. weighted in 170gr. either.

I certainly haven't seen it all though, but all I can say is I must be a deprived uneducated Reloader for sure.
I always shot a 1-10 twist in a .270 win, and weatherby mag.,and found it lacking with even 150s.

Maybe I should try to buy one of those .270 wsm rifles myself.
As of so far, I have only seen .277 diameter bullets I less than a handful of weights.
How many weights are available for the .30?
That's what I'm getting at, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Seven thousandths under a 7mm at 150 is plenty heavy enough if twist stabilized....if I'm reading mtmuley correctly.

I sure must be missing those heavy .277 bullets on the shelves of any of the places I buy bullets .
I know Burger makes a 170gr., but have never seen them any place.
Who else makes .277 bullets heavier than 150gr. and where can you get them?
You guys out west have different stuff available I'm sure.
But I can't see it being as what could be called tons, or plenty of options as compared to other calibers.
Haven't seen a production rifle that had a chamber and twist to use a .277 call. weighted in 170gr. either.

I certainly haven't seen it all though, but all I can say is I must be a deprived uneducated Reloader for sure.
I always shot a 1-10 twist in a .270 win, and weatherby mag.,and found it lacking with even 150s.

Maybe I should try to buy one of those .270 wsm rifles myself.
As of so far, I have only seen .277 diameter bullets I less than a handful of weights.
How many weights are available for the .30?
That's what I'm getting at, that's all I'm saying.

I think you’ve spent too much time reading Internet forums and not enough time in the field.

Belly deep,
I'm 100% sure I have wasted enough time here for sure.
I'm gonna try to leave this sort of thing to you experts.

I got one I won at a RMEF banquet years ago

That is where the one my friend has came from. He won it a number of years ago. These rifles must have been part of the banquet package back then.

ClearCreek

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back