Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hello from El Paso

kylemcintyre67

Hello everyone. I am a new hunter. I live in El Paso, TX. I've always wanted to get into hunting, but it was not something my family ever did, except my Grandfather, but he lived too far away to hunt with. About four years ago I had the opportunity to deer hunt on highly managed private land in a ground blind. I harvested a small buck. It was a great experience and the gentleman who allowed my buddy and I to hunt his property was a great person. Sadly he passed last year. My opportunities since then have been limited, but I am changing that this year. I will be taking advantage of Oklahoma's (relativity) inexpensive over the counter deer tags and hunting public land in the southeast portion of the state. Using the guidance I have gleaned from here and other sources. I am also planning to spend a good portion of the spring taking advantage of the over the counter Barbary sheep tags in New Mexico. I am about an hour and a half drive from some decent areas above Alamogordo, so I feel pretty optimistic. I have long term dreams of going after elk and antelope on public land, my brother and I are in the early stages of planning a 2020 trip to either Idaho or Colorado.

If anyone has any tips or pointers for whitetail hunting in the Three Rivers/ Honobia Creek WMA areas I am all ears. I did purchase the On X system and have done a fairly thorough map reconnaissance, but I will not be able to scout in advance at all. I will be headed up for the rifle season but won't be able to start my hunt until the Sunday evening at the end of opening weekend.

Thanks to all for the tips, pointers, and amazing stories. Between this site and Randy's abundant youtube presence, I am inspired and confident about diy solo hunting on public lands.

Welcome Kyle! Alamogordo is an interesting place, although I've never been up to the mountains (forget the range name). Aoudad are an interesting critter!

Welcome, I used to live in Las Cruces a few years back. I would be putting in for Cloudcroft deer and elk if I where you. Elk is a tough draw, but deer should be a gimme. I've even seen whitetails on the Lincoln NF.

Welcome aboard. As for three rivers/honobia wma I live 20 minutes west of them and have hunted there for close to 20 years. It can be a challenge to hunt at times but it's rarely crowded and there is lots of room to roam. I'll send you a pm with some tips and tactics that have worked for me in the area in the next week or two when I'm a little less busy. Also if you have any specific questions about the area feel free to send me a pm.

Greetings from El Paso. I live on the east side. I hunt New Mexico and Arizona. Let me know if you have any questions.

greetings! sounds like you have a plan...betting you'll really like the aoudad sheep hunting. cool animal in some beautiful country. get out and enjoy. as Jack O'Connor said "hunting requires 2 things: time and money; if you got more of one you can get by with less of the other."

I will be putting my name in the hat for sure, biggest issue for me is time. I work at a technical college and our vacations are set weeks and they aren't very flexible about them.

Thank you very much. I am very excited to get out there. Any tips are much appreciated. Part of this trip will be scouting the feasibility of access for a friend of mine that is in a wheel chair as well. I will be looking for spots we can set him up in a ground blind. Any ideas on that would be helpful too.

Back