Rifle Preparation & Sight In

ida homer

If you saw my last thread, the issue ended up being the scope. I borrowed my brothers near brand new Vortex HS-T 4-16x for the season.

Per the chart, I need to be 1.2" high @ 100 yards for a 200 yard zero. 7mm Hornady Superformance factory loaded ammo.

I shot once to see where it was hitting, about 5" high, I clicked down and shot this 3 shot group this morning. Hornady Group.jpg

For factory loads, I'm very impressed. I'm going back to the store to buy up some more boxes from the same lot. I think with an even steadier rest and some more trigger time, I could get this near 1/2 MOA with real focus. The goal being to hunt with this rifle out to 500 yards this season. I've got 1 month exactly to build confidence. I figure if I can hit an 8" gong 5 for 5 at 600 yards, then I'm good out to 500 in a real hunting situation. I've only got 1 month, but I think I can do it. If I don't get there, no worries, I'll set my limit to 400 yards this season.

Next time out I'll adjust a couple clicks, make sure my zero is perfect, then I'll shoot some groups at 300 and 400 to validate my drops/velocity to input back into my chart. Any tips or ideas to reach that goal are welcome.

This is probably fairly obvious, but unless you plan on hauling some sort of bench with you on your hunt make sure you practice shooting in actual field positions. It's easy to shoot 500 yards off of a bench, but significantly harder off of a backpack.

No doubt Ben, that isn't stressed enough. This was my setup this morning. I shoot almost exclusively prone, as I don't have a range membership or own a good bench. I do pack that sandbag occasionally on some hunts.

Setup.jpg

I do pack that sandbag occasionally on some hunts./QUOTE]

Having "sandbags" on a hunt can be an advantage and make for a good rest but, they can be HEAVY!!

So, here is the solution I came up with: I made up some bags using the little styrofoam balls from a bean bag. They are very light and actually work quite well.

ClearCreek

Airsoft balls work well too in an old sock. Thats my squeeze bag. Goes qith me when i take the rifle out.

Good idea on the bean bags.

Yes, the old scope was the issue. Just a lemon or something happened to it at some point. I don't remember dropping it etc. Unfortunately I just got too busy getting ready for that hunting trip to keep this thread updated, oops.

Back