Backpack Mule Deer Gear List, Sept. 2018

SnowyMountaineer

It's been quite a while since I went to the trouble of weighing gear and plugging in alternatives, although I usually weigh my pack the day I leave and day I get back from a backpack trip. This is my favorite backpack hunt every year and it looks like this time the weather is going to be pretty darn nice, aside from afternoon/evening winds consistently into the 30 mph range. I always try to be thoughtful about what goes and what doesn't, without obsessing. My primary weight splurge on this trip will be a 14 oz. bipod. I've found that in the area I'm headed there are often long shot opportunities, and I shoot a bit better off a bipod than my pack. In the future I intend to mess around with a tripod attachment for that purpose, but haven't had a chance to do so yet. With the nice temps and no precip forecasted I could get by with a tarp below treeline, but the places I'll be sleeping are just too exposed with that much wind. I could also leave the center post of my tripod but I like to hang rocks on it to stabilize in the wind. Of course I may add or subtract an item or two before heading out, but this is the jist.

-4 nights, 5 days
-Backpacking at or above treeline
-Temperatures in the 50's and 30's, windy
-Mileage to camp #1 is 6.0, anyone's guess after that

On my body leaving the rig:
-Icebreaker 150 T
-Smartwool boxers
-Icebreaker light hiker socks
-Arc'teryx Gamma AR pant
-orange cap
-Hoka Tor Ultra High trail shoe
-BD Distance Z trekking poles
-OR flex tex gaiters

In the pack, weight in ounces adjacent:
Hilleberg Niak, no inner 34.0
Valandre Mirage 23* bag long 29.0
Exped Pillow 2.9
Neo Air X-therm 17.9

Ibex wool hoody 10.7
Brooks Range Puffy 16.9
1x spare socks 2.2
Integral Designs puffy hat 1.6
Orange vest 2.5
Patagonia Houdini windshirt 4.0
Softshell gloves 2.9

65mm spotter w/ plate 53.3
8x42 binos w/harness 36.6
Tripod + head + adapter 58.1
Rangefinder 6.7

Tikka T3x Lite w/ full mag 132.8
Spare ammo + pouch 11.0
Bipod 14.0
Rear bag 4.6
Kill kit (knife, tags, pen, etc.) 13.6

Always bag (H2O treat, Ibu, tape, tp, spoon, etc) 14.2
Headlamp, SPOT, batts, battery booster 19.1
Camera 7.4
Water bladder, 6L (empty) 7.4
Water bladder and tube (empty) 3.2
Nalgene, pint 2.4
Sit pad 2.1
Earphones 0.4
Toothbrush + paste 1.6
Smartphone 6.4
Wind checker 0.7
Meat bag 4.6
MSR Windburner + gas + striker 23.7
SG Sky 5200 + frame 84.5

So gear all up = 39.6 lbs.
Adding 2L of water and 5 days of food puts me at: 47.5 lbs.

That's a number I can live with on a glassing intensive solo trip like this. Even with a mature buck that will keep me at or under 110 lbs. on the trip out w/ no cape. Last year was a colder, wetter ordeal where I had to take more gear to stay safe and it ended up being 116 lbs. The area requires hauling back up about 800' over a pass to get out, so keeping things reasonable is important. Happy hunting!

Sounds like you have it all detailed out! How much ammo are you taking? Do you have 10s or 12s binos? Possible consolidation over taking binos and a spotter? Best of luck!

I carry lucky 13 rounds total. I have 15x bino's I like but need the spotter for properly sorting bucks at distance. I'd consider leaving the 8's for 15's anyway but kinda need to be able to work some bedding areas top-down at fairly close range. I have not ruled out doing something different there. I need a goat to carry the 15's so I can have all three :)

Last edited:
Nice list and set up. Thanks for sharing. I do the same thing but cant seem to cut the weight below 57 with rifle for 7 days. My biggest weight is 10lb sleep system with tent pad and bag.
Curious about those Hoka Tor Ultra High trail shoe
I have seen those in a running shoe at the store but never in a boot, they are super light how is the support?

The Hoka's are light yes, though a bit heavier than the Altra Lone Peak's I've been hunting in the last few years. They are not particularly supportive, which I've come to accept as a tradeoff for comfort and nimble-ness. I recently picked up a pair of stiffer La Sportiva's that I will start phasing in on shorter mileage hunts. I have some genetic foot issues and related tendonitis, so I'm going to have to go back to something stiffer in the future.

Good luck and post pictures when you return!! There's a deer up there that is dead already, he just doesn't know it yet.

Looks like a pretty good setup, I would feel comfortable packing out a boned out muley in one trip with that setup. I would be to drop the wind shirt and add a lightweight hard shell if you have one. I've just been hit with rain and snow so many times in Sept and like them as a wind layer while glass... but definitely a personal pref thing.

I could yes, swapping for my hardshell would cost a modest 5.9 oz, and is one I've wavered on for this trip. I am leaning windshirt as much for quick drying and breathability as weight savings. When it's super windy I end up wearing it some when active, just to stay sane.

Thanks for the breakdown SnowyMountaineer. When you write about backpack hunting, I pay attention. Hope you have another great hunt. Your buck last year was spectacular.

I’m headed out in an hour or so. My pack weight for a 7 day hunt will be similar. I never plan for the pack out though. I’d rather haul out a comfortable load and head back for a 2nd — even if it means an extra 12-16 mile round trip.

I ended up tossing in the tent body and my 15x binos. Came out with 110 pounds last night. Will get around to a write up eventually I imagine, it was a full value adventure, with some stress and pain thrown in. Where the buck died was 1,300' of up, on a trail-less shale mess, just to get it stashed for the hike out. Dislocated my shoulder. It was a trip.

I ended up tossing in the tent body and my 15x binos. Came out with 110 pounds last night. Will get around to a write up eventually I imagine, it was a full value adventure, with some stress and pain thrown in. Where the buck died was 1,300' of up, on a trail-less shale mess, just to get it stashed for the hike out. Dislocated my shoulder. It was a trip.

Anticipating the write up. Glad you’re okay. And, congratulations on what I’m sure is a good buck.

Great thread, and congrats on a nice buck! Sorry about your shoulder...what type scale do you use to weigh your loaded pack in the field?

Great thread, and congrats on a nice buck! Sorry about your shoulder...what type scale do you use to weigh your loaded pack in the field?
Thabks, I just weigh it when I get out and figure my on board water weight as the bladder 1/2 full. Unless I'm hunting out of state I dont unload it until I get to my house.

SnowyMountaineer,

In the past, I have almost always gotten the phrase, “Go in light, come out heavy” flip-flopped. I am going to use your list to cut some of my going in weight. Thanks for posting it.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back