Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Remington 770, to hell with you?

vanish

Eight years ago, we had recently moved to Colorado and started western hunting. I was using my grandfather's 7mm rem. mag. and my wife has a nice Weatherby .270. This combo is pretty good, and I am not a "rifle nut" so don't feel the need to own a caliber designed for each species. However, a friend of mine offered me a scoped .270 for a mere $100, as he wanted to focus on fly fishing. How could I decline? This would allow us to take the same type of ammunition on our pronghorn and deer hunts and I really like the .270 caliber anyway.

The gun is a Remington 770, which has, uh, lackluster reviews. However, I could shoot just fine to 300 yards with it and thus it worked for me. I didn't feel the need to baby it with the cheap price and synthetic stock. I took a couple of deer and pronghorn with it before a local mule deer hunt.

On that hunt, I found myself constantly struggling through oak brush. I had the gun strapped to my pack, and the bolt kept getting snagged on the brush. I should have more seriously taken note of this, but it seemed a minor annoyance at the time. I took great note of this once I reached my glassing knob and the whole freakin' bolt was missing. There was no turning it back up after hours of crawling through that brush. My wife was hunting nearby, so my hunt wasn't completely ruined, but boy was I pissed.

That gun went into the safe and I thought about what to do with it every once in awhile. Finally, a few weeks ago I stripped it down and sent it back to Remington to see what they could do. Friday night, I got an email stating the total cost of the repair would be $190, nearly twice what I paid for it.

Now, if this was a well reputed gun, I would just suck it up, pay, be embarrassed and tell my story as a warning to others about equipment care. However, I just don't trust the damn thing not to do it again. The bolt lock is entirely too easy to flip. I'm tempted to see what happens if I tell them to recycle the thing.

Thoughts?

My bolt pops open easily. so i keep the safety on ( even tho it is empty) to keep the bolt locked down. It will not open w/ the safety on.
Maybe the Rems are different. You could attach a catch or strap. A new one may be tighter than the old one. Might shoot even better
if they do any fitting

I don’t know much about a 770. Can you sell it for 290 and recoup your money?

However, thinking about it, I'd probably only need to resell for $200 or so to offset, since if I tell them to keep it, I'm out ~$120 anyway (gun+shipping). I might be able to sell it for that much.

My bolt pops open easily. so i keep the safety on ( even tho it is empty) to keep the bolt locked down. It will not open w/ the safety on.
Maybe the Rems are different. You could attach a catch or strap. A new one may be tighter than the old one. Might shoot even better
if they do any fitting

The bolt on my 700's will not open when the safety is on. Perhaps the 770 is different.

Oh this gets even better. They'll charge me $70 to have it sent back to me without the repairs.

You've gotten your use out of it, take the $120 loss on the chin and forget it existed. If it were a $100 sleeping bag with a hole in it, and Kelty or whoever wanted $190 to fix it, would you do it? No sense in throwing good money after bad.

I have a 770 in 06 that I bought as my son's first rifle. Shoots unbelievable, but after some bolt mishaps, it's a dust collector. I won't even sell it to anyone out of fear that they'll have an accident. Damn shame, took a few nice deer with it at decent distances.

Wow sad to see how much Remington has fallen in overall customer service. The vast majority of my and my family's guns are Remingtons (all from the early '50s through the early '00s), and they are all are a point of pride. $190 for just the bolt on a gun that cost <$300 new is asinine. $70 to ship it back is just ludicrous. Have you looked into buying just the bolt? I found this: https://ahlmans.com/cart/bolt-assembly-for-remington-770-standard.html looks like it would work. Hope you can resolve this satisfactorily!

The 770 was/ is probably the worst thing that Remington has ever come out with. Some of the reviews are just comical, and not to mention- dangerous. I think you may have done your fly fishing buddy a real favor. Not to bash you... for $100, I probably would have bought it for a cheap range gun. Sucks that Remington has gone so far downhill...

$300 will get you a new bolt action Savage, Ruger or Mossberg, that will shoot as well as the average hunter can operate it. They won't be fancy and the bolts and triggers may be a little rough but budget rifles have become amazing reliable options for their price. Better to spend (sub) $300 on one of these than $200 on the old 770 in my opinion.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back