Remington 770, to hell with you?

That was my first rifle. I killed several deer with it but was never overly impressed by it. It had a real sloppy bolt which didn't make for good follow up shots. I ended up trading mine for a crossbow and bought a Tikka T3 as a replacement. Very happy I got rid of it.

Constantly struggling through oak brush with the rifle strapped on the back pack. I wouldn't strap a rifle on a back pack and I'd find away around the brush. Might be a junk rifle, I don't know but sound's like it was drug through hell! Wonder if he'd have drug a $1000 rifle through the same stuff the same way? I did see one of those 770's once, ugliest rifle I think I ever saw!Ya know, if you buy a $30k four wheel drive and wreak it on the Rubican Trail, I doubt the manufacturer will honor the warantee!

I had to fight through brush opening day of elk archery this year. Lost an arrow. There was cliffs on both sides of the brush, no way around it but straight through. Not always as easy as you make it sound.

Lets remember the 770 came from the Model 710, which started the whole inexpensive rifle craze. Everyone should thank Remington for trying. It got us to where were now with rifle prices. The 770 came out because everyone thought the plastic receiver on the Remington would not hold up to pressures and it was hard to cycle. The first part is false, the second part is true. I still have my 710. It has been dropped, banged, partially under water and literally beat to snot. It still shots great ( because the barrel was the same as a standard 700). Accuracy was never an issue with it. Its a gun I keep in the back of UTV in case I see something that needs to be shot like a coyote.

Its not my hunting gun, or anything I am proud of by any means. Heck I hunt now with a gun 10x the cost. Maybe I keep it because I feel sorry for it.

I got one in a .270. The only redieming feature is the adjustable trigger. But after three years of owning the gun it would not feed or eject shells. I missed three deer before I decided to get a better rifle. The Remington 770 is the worst rifle made by remington, it's a one shot wonder.

$300 will get you a new bolt action Savage, Ruger or Mossberg, that will shoot as well as the average hunter can operate it. They won't be fancy and the bolts and triggers may be a little rough but budget rifles have become amazing reliable options for their price. Better to spend (sub) $300 on one of these than $200 on the old 770 in my opinion.

Throw the TC Compass in there as well. Getting around 1" groups with my buddy's 30-06 and you can find deals on them with a reasonable scope for well under $300.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back