MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Backpack for Christmas

I've been contemplating a new pack for the past couple of years. Just had a hard time prioritizing one. Had my list down to the Metcalf and SG Sky. Went and tried both of them on, and loved the Stone Glacier Frame. Then I found a good deal on a MR Metcalf this summer and decided to give it a try. With only two day hunts under my belt its been pretty damn good so far. I have it loaded and in the truck right now for a 3 day hunt, and I'm betting it will get the job done in comfort. I was surprised how much I was able to cram in there.

I'd Echo the statements above and steering you towards one of the more prominent brands, but if money is priority (as it was for me) the Metcalf is a pretty damn good bag at the price. I don't regret it one bit.

I don't think you can really go wrong with the majority of packs on the market. I got to try on the newer Mystery Ranch Selway and really like it for a smaller pack though it may be a touch small for anything more than a 2-3 day trip. I saw the new MR Pop-up while glassing with Randy11 the other day and that holds a big promise on the day pack side.

I personally use the 2015 version of the ExoMountain Gear 3500 and it's been on many 3-5 day trips though it gets a bit tight so I'd consider the 5500 version just to cram more stuff in though it is definitely lacking on pockets.

Speaking of pockets, the guys that carry packs with lots of pockets tend to fill those pockets with piles of "what-if" gear.

Yeah, I've had my hands on the popup and it looks like the perfect day-pack. Haven't seen it loaded with meet yet, but if it can haul a load half-way decent I may end up picking one of those up just for a lighter smaller option.

I have a 2013 Kuiu Icon (pre Icon pro) and am pretty happy. I have hauled a number of elk and deer during that time without any problems, including one trip where I hauled out two elk hindquarters over three miles and the pack did great. I have purchased both the 1850 and 7200 bags to go along with. Since buying mine I have had probably 5 friends and my borther buy Kuiu packs and not one of us have had a problem. You do have to understand that carbonfiber is not metal. The direction of the weave dictates the direction of strength. If you load it up and try to pick it up from the middle, as opposed to upright you could break it. I love the ability to organize my gear (to each their own) and how accessible it is.

I have a fair amount of experience with badlands packs (my brother was a dealer for a couple of years) and it depends on the packs. I love the Ox's ability to carry weight and how it is set up, but it is the way to heavy (almost 10 lbs empty). I would love to pick up an ox frame as an extra meat carrier, but dropping $250 on a frame is a little steep.

All this being said, I have been very interested by Kifaru, Seek Outside and Exo over the last year. My son is almost to the age that I will need to break down and buy another pack and I might pick up one of those brands just to see the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back