Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Backpack for Christmas

KnotOnCall

My wife is getting me a backpack for Christmas. I've been putting off buying one for a while. Ideally I'll be doing everything from day hunts, up to 3-5 day backcountry hunts. I've got it narrowed down to three.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf
Kuiu Icon pro 3200 or 5200

I keep leaning toward the Kuiu 5200, just because of how modular it is. I like the idea of being able to organize my gear with all the pockets. Is there any kuiu users on here? I'm curious how the bag performs packing out meat compared to the Metcalf.

thanks

I thought I would want more pockets too, as I was that guy. But the Metcalf performs supremely and I like how it holds weight. So my thought, forget the pockets.

Just saw another broken Kuiu pack on instagram the other day. I'm with 406, don't worry about the pockets, that's not what you're paying $400+ for in a legit hunting pack.

I'm going to have to throw the Exo Mountain Gear k2 3500 into the hat. The padding on the metcalf is uncomfortable to me, the way it runs down the middle. My 3500 has impressed me so far.

Is price a concern?

Just wondering why the big three Exo, SG, and Kifaru aren't on the list?

That video is a complete joke.

I would definitely add SG, Exo, Kifaro, and SO to the list of packs to consider.

They are a bit biased in the video but I originally had a tenzing tz 6000. I sold it immediately after watching this video. A month later Scheels had the metcalf 25% off. I love it so far. I've only hauled geese out with it.

SG was in that video and it passed all the "tests"!

I have a KUIU 3200 Icon Pro. Best pack I have ever had. I used it for a 3 day back pack hunt. Form me it had all the room I needed and strapped on my sleeping bag on other items on outside. Maybe a little bit bigger would have been better. I use this pack for day hunt trips and its not to big. The load hauler worked great packing out last year.

That video is a complete joke.

I would definitely add SG, Exo, Kifaru, and SO to the list of packs to consider.

Truth although it did show how much of a joke Badlands, Tenzing, Eberlestock packs are... might as well go hunting with your kids Jan Sport school bag. Packs like that are find if you are day hunting and then either doing vehicle retrieval or going back and getting a frame to haul your meat out on... but if you are seriously backpack hunting SG, Exo, Kifaru, SO and Mystery Ranch are really the way to go... in my mind Kuiu is in a grey area in the middle. (My brother-n-law snapped 2 kuiu frames in one season... after the second he didn't even call them to replace the second one he just ordered a Kifaru, Kuiu is a hard pass for me with packs)

SG was in that video and it passed all the "tests"!

I meant those are the other packs the original poster should consider.

That video was nothing but an advertisement for the packs that GoHunt sells. There's a reason they "forgot" the other top-end pack makers and it wasn't because it was an accident. Honestly, those guys lost a lot of credibility in my mind by putting out a video like that.

I meant those are the other packs the original poster should consider.

That video was nothing but an advertisement for the packs that GoHunt sells. There's a reason they "forgot" the other top-end pack makers and it wasn't because it was an accident. Honestly, those guys lost a lot of credibility in my mind by putting out a video like that.

I get that too. But like wllm said it was more of a deterrence from tenzing and badlands for me. I do not need a $700 pack. Nor do I need to waste money on a cheaply built imposter bag. I am happy I watched the video because it led me to a better pack. I was hoping the same for the OP.

That video was very eye opening. As with everything in life money is always a factor. When i first started looking at different packs, i was under the illusion that i could get a good bag for a couple hundred dollars. But the more i read and researched, the higher my budget creeped up. Im trying stay around $500. As for the big three, SG, exo, kifaru, i think they are out of my budget. Seek outside revolution fortress 4800 was on my short but i really couldnt find a ton of info on the bag. After that video ive ruled out the kuiu, and the metcalf is pretty much bomb proof.

You wont be disappointed with a metcalf. That pack was on my short list when I was buying a pack and in the end it came down to fit for me and the SG just fit my hips and torso better.

Honestly, if you aren't getting a pack with a dedicated meatshelf then it isn't a hunting pack it's just a camo backpack, and if you are buying a backpack go with one of mountaineering companies. Osprey, mountain smith, black diamond, arcteryx, etc. their packs will be in the same price range as badlands and tenzing and will be 3x better.

. (My brother-n-law snapped 2 kuiu frames in one season... after the second he didn't even call them to replace the second one he just ordered a Kifaru, Kuiu is a hard pass for me with packs)

I'd like to know how people manage such feats. I have a REI backpackers pack. Weight less than 5 lbs. Capacity 75 liters. I've gone probably 150 miles with it in the last few years. Loaded an entire black bear 4 quarters, rib/neck meat, hide, skull. Haven't had anything serious fail on it. I'm probably going to replace it only because it's too tall for me.

I'd like to know how people manage such feats. I have a REI backpackers pack. Weight less than 5 lbs. Capacity 75 liters. I've gone probably 150 miles with it in the last few years. Loaded an entire black bear 4 quarters, rib/neck meat, hide, skull. Haven't had anything serious fail on it. I'm probably going to replace it only because it's too tall for me.

First time he tried to power lift it off the ground with a ton of meat in it... second time he took a weird fall.

That video was very eye opening. As with everything in life money is always a factor. When i first started looking at different packs, i was under the illusion that i could get a good bag for a couple hundred dollars. But the more i read and researched, the higher my budget creeped up. Im trying stay around $500. As for the big three, SG, exo, kifaru, i think they are out of my budget. Seek outside revolution fortress 4800 was on my short but i really couldnt find a ton of info on the bag. After that video ive ruled out the kuiu, and the metcalf is pretty much bomb proof.

Seek outside has some really good videos on YouTube on their packs. I upgraded to a goshawk and talon this year, it is amazing to say the least. I have a few things from them now and their stuff is top notch.

I have a KUIU icon pro 3200 and love it! It's packed a half mule deer / elk qtr no issues. I think you're right on the 5200 also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back