Black / brown bear tree video

Sytes

Friend shared this on Facebook. Thought you would enjoy.

[video=youtube_share;hURgA_BNSGc]https://youtu.be/hURgA_BNSGc[/video]

The first, second, third, fourth, fifth etc time to watch a black bear ascend a tree it blew me away. The fact that the first and fourth ascents were in the tree adjacent to my tree stand made it very squeezy to see the speed that they can move.

"Mama Bear" in action in nature (and in my house) is awe inspiring in every aspect.

Nice video capture but I must say that I would have a bit confused on what was happening if not for the commentary.

The commentary is pretty entertaining. :)

Think she cleared limbs faster than a logging de-limber! Haha!

Re: black or griz, it would be one heck of a fantastic blackie with that blonde coat!
It's tough to tell from the video. The sow seems to have color difference over the shoulder area that suggests a possible griz hump though... w/o spotting ears, head shape and (or) arched rump, I couldn't say one way or the other.

In the original video I saw of this encounter it said both bears were black bears, one black and one a cinnamon phase.

The fact the "brown" one climbs the tree so fast indicates it is, in fact, a black bear. Grizzlies don't (can't) climb trees like that.

ClearCreek

In the original video I saw of this encounter it said both bears were black bears, one black and one a cinnamon phase.

The fact the "brown" one climbs the tree so fast indicates it is, in fact, a black bear. Grizzlies don't (can't) climb trees like that.

ClearCreek

That's what I thought until a buddy sent me this video...

Edit: I just re-read your post, "like that". I agree. This momma ripped up and down the tree as if the tree spanned horizontal! Haha! Somewhere, the content was changed, "through the grapevine" regarding the title and FB posts.

[video=youtube_share;dPnp3fLOER8]https://youtu.be/dPnp3fLOER8[/video]

Last edited:
That's what I thought until a buddy sent me this video...

[video=youtube_share;dPnp3fLOER8]https://youtu.be/dPnp3fLOER8[/video]

Definitely 2 black bears... but very cool video. (Also if you check it's by skull bound TV and they said it's a black bear... soooo)

Styes, your video shows the opposite to me... yeah grizz can climb trees but look at the struggle... looks like me trying to climb up a tree not some parkour ninja.

Ya. Agree. I must have been typing my edit when you placed your post.
Amazing the endurance momma displayed. The frequency she zipped around that tree!

Beautiful black bear!

One of the very worst places to be is between a mama bear and her cub(s); no matter if it a grizzly or black bear.

ClearCreek

A buddy and I were watching this and talking about bear identification, also looking at the meateater article on the subject, and we were commenting on how everyone seems to have "a friend from Alaska" that saw a grizzly in CO. As if being from Alaska helps you identify bears by default, in my experience... and this is going to probably piss off any AK residents on the forum, I don't think Alaskan's are particularly good at bear identification because they don't have a high percentage of color phase black bears in AK. I feel like if you are going to claim people from a state for bear identification it has got to be either Idaho, WY or MT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back