Vacuum packing machines, what you like and what to stay away from.

Majja

What vacuum packing machines do you all use? I had an inexpensive one once upon a time I hated it. I am re-visiting this again, so please tell me what you all use. This will be for mostly fish and fowl, as I like to double wrap my red meat with plastic wrap then butcher paper.

Thanks
Matt

I have a weston pro-2300... can't say enough good things about it. In my experience with vacuum sealers and meat grinders anything under $250 is more frustration that it's worth (bulk use, obviously a hand grinder works great it you want to do burgers for dinner... but you try and grind 100lbs of elk and you will want to shoot yourself)

Are there any that run off of 12 volt systems? If I used a vacuum system I would want to do it on my tailgate as often as not.

Are there any that run off of 12 volt systems? If I used a vacuum system I would want to do it on my tailgate as often as not.

Why is that? What are you processing in the field/ are you tossing it in a cooler?

I have the Cabelas Commercial and no issues with it for 3 years, except when I do more than 5 deer, it tends to overheat towards the end of the session. We vaccum seal everything. The new ones are supposed to have a new element to prevent that. I have the 12" and only a few times have I wanted the 15".

Also, get the bags off of Amazon, about half the price as Cabelas and Walmart. Just make sure you get the right mil on the plastic.

Why is that? What are you processing in the field/ are you tossing it in a cooler?

If I can, it sure is nice. The meat is frozen with dry ice in the cooler. I'd hate to thaw it to process it again. The less refreezing the better.

I have the foodsaver titanium model. You can seal a whole elk with it without having to stop to let it cool down. It also does 15 inch bags. My only complaint is the size of it. The thing is huge. My generator has two 110V outlets in it, so I can seal in the field. I set my old camper up with a solar electric system with 12V batteries and an inverter and could run electric stuff off of that.

Last edited:
My F150 has a built in converter, but it's pretty wimpy for amperage. Might work. Might not.

If you can swing it, and have the space, get a chamber sealer. You'll never go back to the standard type.

I have a 12" Cabela's commercial. It's exceedingly mediocre...you have to hold it juuuuust right to get the seal started, been that way since the day I got it. It has maybe a 5% failure rate on seals, but a visual inspection catches them.

Foodsaver "Biggame" edition ($120 on amazon) and the $199 Cabelas Pro sealer both claim to have 12V plugs in addition to 110V

Have a cabelas and a food saver. Wish i had chamber sealer. Way better results.

+1 on the chamber sealer. I bought mine off craigslist from a restaurant supply. Not cheap by any means but will seal well and keeps game fresh for longer than any of us will let it stay in the freezer. The other huge benefit to it is it will seal liquids far better than any other one I have used. The only other downside to them is they weigh over 80 lbs and there is no way they will seal off a 12v system.

I've used two basic Foodsavers for about 25 years but they became unreliable. Last fall I got the Cabela's "commercial" 12" model. It's worked well, much faster with stronger vacuum and better seals. Happy with it so far.

I bought a Vac-Master 215 chamber sealer.

That thing works great.

Drawbacks: It weights around a hundred pounds and is not very pricey but I had terrible luck with the Foodsavers and said the heck with it.

It is awesome.

I had a cabelas commercial unit for 7 years 5 of which it only really if you held the lid down just right.
I tried several things to get it working right and finally it went caput. I replaced it with a foodsaver 4980
And I really like it. I have had it for 2 years. I think I messed up the cabelas by running to many moist foods and liquid into the system. As far as operating I like the food saver as it has the rolls that you can customized every piece. I still use cabelas bags as well. I dont condem the cabelas model but it was two and a half times more dollars than the foodsaver. I have never had to shut down the foodsaver to cool it off.

Thanks all. I had a inexpensive food save about 15 years ago and hated it. It was hard to use and did not seal well. I will look into the suggestions.

Thanks

I bought a Vac-Master 215 chamber sealer.

That thing works great.

Drawbacks: It weights around a hundred pounds and is not very pricey but I had terrible luck with the Foodsavers and said the heck with it.

It is awesome.

I have this model. I went through a few food savers that would over heat while sealing sausage etc. I'll never not have one of these. You can vacuum seal a bag of water in it too. Not to mention, it may pay for itself in the cost of bags over the life of the machine.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back