Caribou Gear Tarp

Savage Model 12

Hey OhHeyThereBen,

I bought this Savage 12FV at Cabelas last winter. I bought it right after New Year's and I got the rifle for $250. I bought the 6.5 manbun. It shoots lights out. The stock is a very cheap plastic one, but like Horse I am upgrading it to a Boyd's laminated stock. The rifle is pretty dang heavy and for me it only makes it to the rifle range. I have worked up some handloads with the 143 GR Hornady ELD-X. The attached target was shot at 100 yards, but very accurate.

Target 1.jpg

If you have any questions, let me know.

I'm not sure Scheels will negotiate on price of a new gun. I've had them do it on used before. Maybe if you found a current ad they'd price match.

I'd wager a new round of Savage rebates will come online Jan or Feb

They're on the used rack. Model 12FVs are a Cabelas-only model, so I'm assuming that the ones that someone one them at a banquet or something and wanted to exchange them for something else. All of them look like they've never been shot, but they're still on the used rack.

oh! that's why I haven't seen them anywhere. I see posts that they were down to like $250. Maybe they'd deal...tell them $500 for 2 and you'll pay cash

I think the wife would kill me if I bought two, but what she don't know won't learn 'er. I'm thinking I'll be able to get them down below $300 after Christmas. Since they're not chambered in manbun and are priced like the new ones, I'd assume that there's no way they'll sell.

For your application I'd be significantly happier with a small 6.5 of whichever flavor you prefer. Slippery (high bc) .308 bullets for steel plinking glory are heavy. There is a big difference in practical ability to spot shots shooting 130 Bergers over 40-ish grains in a 6.5C compared to a 200 or 210 grain bullet in the .308.

For your application I'd be significantly happier with a small 6.5 of whichever flavor you prefer. Slippery (high bc) .308 bullets for steel plinking glory are heavy. There is a big difference in practical ability to spot shots shooting 130 Bergers over 40-ish grains in a 6.5C compared to a 200 or 210 grain bullet in the .308.

I agree. But the .308 will work just fine as well for a time. Plus, it'll give me more reason to learn some gunsmithing skills in the future.

Swapping barrels on Savage rifles is a cakewalk...then you can go off in the weeds with wildcat cartridges when you get bored. The only not great part is the stock selection isn't the best but there are a few spots online that have multiple options available.

Swapping barrels on Savage rifles is a cakewalk...then you can go off in the weeds with wildcat cartridges when you get bored. The only not great part is the stock selection isn't the best but there are a few spots online that have multiple options available.

That's what I've heard. I think I'll end up messing around with the pastic stock to see what I can get out of it but eventually go the route of a Boyds or some sort of chassis system someday. I'm thinking I should be able to build this into anything I'd want to and it'll provide me days worth of pissing around time (one of my favorite pastimes).

I got a 12FV from Cabelas a few years ago in .308. It was around $300 if I recall. They usually run the sale on them in late Jan or Feb. They didn't chamber the 6.5 when I got mine, but if I had to do it again that's what I would get. Mine shoots OK, but not "lights out" like some other people say. I really haven't had time to play with my loads too much though. As others have said the stock is garbage. The bolt on mine rubs a little bit on the blind box magazine and gives the action a terrible feel. I feel like I can remedy this by changing the stock though, if I take the magazine out the action is real smooth. I feel like the stock wasn't milled out enough and it causes the magazine to sit higher than it should and rub on the bolt.

I really just bought mine as a toy, because I couldn't beat the price. I actually had every intention of buying the Rem 700 ADL, but once I felt the Savage (and the accutrigger) I got the Savage instead.

After going to Scheels and trying to talk them down on the price of their used 12FV in .308 and failing, I am now the proud owner of a brand new one in 6.5 MB thanks to the household moneylender and Cabelas! Now I just need to figure out how to explain the need for reloading supplies... ;) Merry Christmas all!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back