Savage Model 12

OhHeyThereBen

Anyone have one of these? I'm looking into the possibility of grabbing a longer range rifle for messing around with in .308 or 6.5 manbun and saw that these go for around $400 and are constantly on sale. From what I'm seeing in reviews they'll constantly shoot half MOA groups and seem like they'd be a good, heavy, target bolt action.

I have a Model 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Model 12 FCV in .223 Rem.
They’re absolute tack drivers. Sub 1/2 moa with high quality factory match ammo is the norm.

I bought the precurser for my wife.
Savage 110FP in 223 Rem.
Shoots 1/4 MOA with boring regularity.
Note long action, no pillars, not bedded (yet).

Friend has the 12VT from Dick's in 243.
Again 1/4MOA with boring regularity.

My buddy has a model 12 in .308 Win. Stainless. It has a much tighter chamber/throat compared to my Rem 700P. With some good handloads you can easily hit out to 1100 yards using 175gr SMK and IMR 4064 going 2620fps. On a good day (it’s all the shooter not the gun)he can consitantly do 3/8” groups with it.

Last edited:
Got 1 too. Typical Savage bolt that doesn't win "smoothest" competitions, but the gun itself just shoots tacks. I upgraded to a boyds stock for feel.

Model 11 as well. Great rifle for the price. However, the magazine does not seat as well as I would like.

That'll take some serious relational money laundering and would be worthy of some sort of honor medal.

I bought the Savage Model 12 Benchrest in 6mmBR Norma earlier this year and while it went against my frugal ND upbringing bought the Nightforce Benchrest scope -- it is swwwweeeeeeeetttttt. Still just using factory ammo (no time to hand load yet, was prioritizing hunting loads) an shoots .35 MOA at 400 yards.

I bought the Savage Model 12 Benchrest in 6mmBR Norma earlier this year and while it went against my frugal ND upbringing bought the Nightforce Benchrest scope -- it is swwwweeeeeeeetttttt. Still just using factory ammo (no time to hand load yet, was prioritizing hunting loads) an shoots .35 MOA at 400 yards.

That's amazing for the price of these things! I'll probably go with some sort of Vortex or Leupold entry level scope then upgrade after a while. That or I'll just spend the cash for a Vortex Viper. That sounds like a great setup though! Better haul it up to Fargo and we can do some shooting ;)

BTW - best of luck to the Vikes this weekend. If the Pack can pull off more than one quarter like they did in the fourth on Sunday, they're going to need it. If they can't the Vikes will take the cake.

Ditto...it's stupid accurate and heavy AF. I shoot .3-.5 MOA depending on the ammo and day with my 12FCV from cabelas for $230 after MIR. Unbelievable.

Dredging up this bad boy.

Does anyone know when Cabelas usually runs their sale on the Savage 12FVs? I went to Scheels last night to check out the used rack and found like 6 "Used" 12FVs in .308 win. They have them listed for far too much (On sale for $350) and I know they've had them since at least last April. This brings up a bit of a predicament for me:

NOTE: I don't want this to be turned into a caliber debate because I'm sick of reading about this one (6.5 vs 308) in particular. Just looking for advice on what you guys would do.

I have my eye on the 6.5 CM because I'm mainly going to be using this for target shooting. I'm ok with waiting for a sale on them at Cabelas, but I would honestly rather support my more local store by buying it there. I think I could probably talk Scheels down to around $300 for the "used" (never been fired) .308 model 12fv. Or I could wait for a sale and get the new one in 6.5 for around $350 directly from Cabelas.

Pros for .308: I do have reloading dies for the .308 already. Additionally, I'd get to buy it from Scheels, which I like more than Cabelas.

Pros for 6.5: This is a more ideal cartridge for my use case. I would get it brand new with no chance of it being messed with.

This is a bit rambley, so apologies for that. But I'd love to start the discussion. Any insight is appreciated!

Last edited:
One hybrid to supporting local store is to find on line and pay local FFL to receive. I would guess this would be a reasonalby easy rifle to find.

Another idea that I concocted in my walnut-sized brain: See how low Scheels will go on the .308, buy it if they get to around $300 or less, and put a new barrel on it in a year or two chambered in .260 Rem or 6.5x47. That way I could buy the gun from Scheels AND eventually get a cartridge that I really want. Although... I'd say that not wanting a mainstream cartridge is probably about as hipster as it gets.

I'm not sure Scheels will negotiate on price of a new gun. I've had them do it on used before. Maybe if you found a current ad they'd price match.

I'd wager a new round of Savage rebates will come online Jan or Feb

Dredging up this bad boy.

Does anyone know when Cabelas usually runs their sale on the Savage 12FVs? I went to Scheels last night to check out the used rack and found like 6 "Used" 12FVs in .308 win. They have them listed for far too much (On sale for $350) and I know they've had them since at least last April. This brings up a bit of a predicament for me:

NOTE: I don't want this to be turned into a caliber debate because I'm sick of reading about this one (6.5 vs 308) in particular. Just looking for advice on what you guys would do.

I have my eye on the 6.5 CM because I'm mainly going to be using this for target shooting. I'm ok with waiting for a sale on them at Cabelas, but I would honestly rather support my more local store by buying it there. I think I could probably talk Scheels down to around $300 for the "used" (never been fired) .308 model 12fv. Or I could wait for a sale and get the new one in 6.5 for around $350 directly from Cabelas.

Pros for .308: I do have reloading dies for the .308 already. Additionally, I'd get to buy it from Scheels, which I like more than Cabelas.

Pros for 6.5: This is a more ideal cartridge for my use case. I would get it brand new with no chance of it being messed with.

This is a bit rambley, so apologies for that. But I'd love to start the discussion. Any insight is appreciated!

I'm waiting too. They have the 204 Ruger on sale now...but no rebate. Tempting still at $350

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back