New String Issues

bcar

I had a new string put on my Bear Anarchy last fall and immediately noticed that my string didn't hit the same place on my string silencers (My new string hit the silencers 1/16" - 1/8" to the right of where the old string hit). I brushed it off thinking the silencers must've moved or something along those lines. One of them had became lose so didn't seem odd that they could have both moved slightly. This spring/summer I felt like I was having to torque the bow a little bit to hit true left and right, and noticed that the bottom cam (single cam bow) seemed crooked while at full draw. I'm a worry wart. My wife looked at it and said she thought it looked fine. Fast forward to this past weekend and I looked deeper into how everything was set up... When I line the string up with the center of the rest, the string is not centered on the riser; vise versa when I line the string up with the center of the riser, my rest is out of center to the right. It's my understanding that when the string, rest, and riser should all be in line with each other, or on the same plane? I have also always thought that it would make sense that the pins should be on the same plane as all the other components as well (I never read this anywhere, just thought it made sense). I have always had the local Sportsman's Warehouse work on my bow (a different archery shop put my new string on though). The guys at Sportsman's level and plumb the bow, attach a laser to the string and then center the rest up with the string and riser. I'm planning to give them a visit this week to see if they see any issues with my bow.

Has anyone ever had a new string put on and experienced something like this? If the string truly is out of center from the riser the only explanation I can come up with is that the cam and top wheel are slightly angled. I've heard the horror stories other other bows having cam tilt issues, but haven't heard of the Bears having this issues. I'm no bow expert though, so I'm curious so see what you guys have seen or heard over the years.

The first thing I do with bows is check the cam lean on top and bottom. I just bought a used Hoyt defiant and both upper and lower were pretty far off. I was able to get the top dialed in just by adjusting my cables but my bottom cam is still running out quite a bit. Right now, it's shooting good so I'm not going to worry about it until the season is over.

As far as your question, I would assume you're having cam lean issues. I just laid an arrow shaft across my cams to see which direction they were pointing.

Also, It may be helpful to use a draw board so you can watch the cams as the bow is slowly drawn back. My string was perfectly aligned at rest, but started running out as I drew it back.

Thanks for the reply. Checked the bottom cam and it's leaned towards the cable roller. I thought it was leaned too much, the local and well reputable archery shop said it wasn't leaned enough to worry about it. We paper tuned it and had to move the rest to the left, away from the riser. Now my sight is maxed out on windage, but it's shooting good at least.

Some Bear compounds are tricky to tune. I have an Agenda 6 and the cams are a little off tilted but it shoots lights out

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back