PEAX Equipment

Sst and gmx bullets suck.

i've used SST's in the past, they do work, but for the most part i've noticed the front have of the bullet disintegrates and the back half is the only part that's recovered. Always a DRT results. But this is on hogs and deer. But i've switched to using all copper, specifically Barnes. Now i get complete pass thru's for the majority of shots taken on game. As for using SST's on elk, i don't believe they are robust enough to take on such a quest, Nosler AB's, PT, & E-tips are better suited, as well the Barnes, Swift A-frame, Berger's are much better choices.

I love reviews that use scientific terms like "suck", very informative. I quit using SSTs (Superformance) because they didn't group as well as the heavier ELD-X (Precision Hunter) loads at the range, by a large margin...

I love reviews that use scientific terms like "suck", very informative. I quit using SSTs (Superformance) because they didn't group as well as the heavier ELD-X (Precision Hunter) loads at the range, by a large margin...

I had better groups from the Hornady Black than the Superperformance. Neither one was super tight though. I'll give the ELD's a try.
New gun so I haven't killed anything with it yet though to comment on performance on game.

I’ve used SSTs for quite awhile on various game animals. Although I’ve only killed 3 cow elk with the 154sst out of a 7mag, they all went about two jumps. Luck or good bullet? You can decide that.

I generally do not like the sst. I have seen them explode on small does. That being said, they have supposedly beefed up the jacket a bit, but I have seen no reason to go back to them. They are very accurate, but not any more accurate than a standard Interlock in all rifles that I have tried them in. The sst does not perform the same as an Interlock, although in theory it should. I think that the difference is the tip, as others have said.

I cannot comment on the other bullets mentioned, as I have never had a reason to try them. Deer and antelope are easy to kill, so bullet performance is a small issue most of the time. For elk, counting the expense of the hunt etc., I can see no reason to use anything but a bullet that I can be assured of its performance every shot. I am a real fan of Partitions, Accubonds and also standard Interlocks. Unless you are into the extreme-range crap, the pretty tip does not help anything in the real world. Out to 4-500 yards, the small difference in bc in the bullets does not matter.

You are absolutely correct. Upon looking again, I see it only has the interlock ring. As such, I would expect weight retention of 60-70 percent (similar to what I saw with other Hornady interlocks), whereas most bonded bullets exhibit 80-90% weight retention.

I did weight retention test's many years ago with Hornady Spire Point, Speer Hot Core and Sierra. I used bundled newspaper for them all and while it may not be the best, it was the same for all. Shot 154gr Hornady's from a 7x57 and 160gr Hot Cores from a 7mm Rem Mag. Both the Spire point and the hot core bullet's retained 86% of their weight for 5 shots, not to shaby! Now I could take most any bullet in any cartridge and kill any elk that ever lived. No trick but you have to use what you have with the best chance of destroying something vital. The construction of the bullet will do little more than determine how well the bullet will retain weight and penetrate. I have found over the years that those Hornady Spire point's completely penetrated every animal I shot with them, so did the hot core's. But then I try to take only high percentage shot's that should kill quickly. I do not care if the bullet I'm using won't penetrate a hind quarter, the chest cavity, lungs ect and come to rest under the skin of the off side front leg. I'm never going to take that shot in the first place.

I don't care to hunt game with bullet's that shed to much weight. My 25-06 was awesome on the few deer I killed with the 100gr bullet in it. Nothing could have survived that much destruction inside. I switched to the 117gr bullet and inside destruction went way down, bullet's always exited and there were a lot fewer dead right there shots. But even the dead right there shot's could certainly have happened had I choose to neck shoot! Break the spine in the neck and the animal falls down, easy! But the spine is a much smaller target. Miss the spine by enough and you have wounded animal. The premium bullet's will not generally make up for poorly placed shot, not hardly. I do like the idea of the bonded bullet's but reject the plastic tip. You hit something and that tip has to go somewhere, I suspect right back into the bullet! I like that tip on the 75gr bullet's in my 243. Shooting it at 200 yds into a paper target with 2" foam backer the bullet's were coming apart right behind the target. Great for a varmint of coyote, not so good on a deer. Bt consider the build and purpose of that bullet and it will kill very quickly even an elk if used properly, I don't suggest doing that, much better choice's.

My understanding about that plastic tip is that Winchester started it with mono bullet's they were loading in factory ammo. It said that the purpose ot the tip was to star expansion of the bullet and keeping the tip from closing up. Been stories I've read about just that happening in bullet's without the tip! I shot a 150gr HP Sierra many years ago into the newspaper at the same 100yds. The tip closed up and no expansion at all. Properly placed the bullet still would have killed anything!

I think those VLD bullet's are a combination of two thing's and used mostly by long range hunter's. Supposed to be very accurate and at long range expand much better. I imagine at say 1000 yds a bonded bullet isn't gonna expand a lot. Matter of fact most cup and core bullet's probably won't and I'd suspect the mono bullet may not at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back