Idaho Muley Unit 76/66A Rifle

dzlfarmboy

Just looking for some general thoughts on these two units. I have a family friend in Thayne,Wyo I may visit and try to do a NR/Muley hunt close by to there. May day hunt but can pack in and spike camp as I usually do. I have been getting out west every year for the last 5 years hunting something elk/deer. We usually plan way ahead, draw and drive out but this year is all up in the air. I've deer hunted 49 3 years ago, pretty country. Just looking to get out in the hills and do lots of glassing and find some deer. If you have any experience or input I'd love to hear from you.

-Brett

I hunted 76 a couple of years ago and am currently typing beneath the European mount of the buck I harvested. The unit is traditionally good for high deer numbers and some nice bucks if you are willing to get off the beaten path. The winter of 2016/2017 (2 years ago) was brutal. We had several deer dead in our yard just off of Hwy 89 north of Bear Lake due to very deep snow.
I have been debating whether to buy a tag this year, as I opted for the NR combo license in the spring for fishing, but haven't heard any great reports that the deer have come back to the point they were 3 years ago. I am sure some have made it through, and last winter was very very mild, so there should be some small bucks, but with the NR cost what it is I would (and am) being hesitant. I hope to make it up to Bear Lake in the next week or two to do some recon work and see if there is anything to make me swipe the card this fall. Feel free to dm me if you decide to make the trip, I will share what info I have on the area.

Good deal, Im really wanting to get out there. Love glassing and spot and stalk hunting the mountains compared to the timbered stand whitetail hunting we do here in Maryland. If I'm not to busy with real estate I'm definitely heading out. But that may turn in to a busy week for me. Time will tell.

I’ve been to Idaho huntin only twice now (2008 and 2012) and am planning to come that way again this year. I haven’t had any luck but I’ve seen some big ones being taken. I’m still studying to be a better hunter. We have always stayed in Preston at the hot springs hotel. We are planning to come again in a few weeks and try zone 77and 75. I would really appreciate any intel you are willing to share on the area or spots in 78 (not too far away). I’d be happy to compensate with a nice cold one and a drive by to show you the fruits of the labor. I’m bringing my brother in law ( a first time hunter). I hope to show him a good time out there. Thanks in advance. Best of luck to you if you decide to buy a tag!

Well my schedule didn't allow for me to get out west this year. First time since I started going in 2010. It sucked missed it bad. How did anyone else do that got out?

I hunted there this year and only saw a few small bucks. The winter kill from a couple of years ago is still being felt in this area. Hopefully it comes back in the next couple of years.

I never did get up there last season as the finances were not great. I did already buy an Idaho tag for 2019 and am planning on doing some in depth scouting this summer, and 76 is our main focus. Will let you know what I find when the time comes.

Good deal, my friend lives in Thayne,Wy a stones throw away from the north end of Idaho 76. Would really like to put some boots on the ground out there this fall.

I hunted 76 a couple of years ago and am currently typing beneath the European mount of the buck I harvested. The unit is traditionally good for high deer numbers and some nice bucks if you are willing to get off the beaten path. The winter of 2016/2017 (2 years ago) was brutal. We had several deer dead in our yard just off of Hwy 89 north of Bear Lake due to very deep snow.
I have been debating whether to buy a tag this year, as I opted for the NR combo license in the spring for fishing, but haven't heard any great reports that the deer have come back to the point they were 3 years ago. I am sure some have made it through, and last winter was very very mild, so there should be some small bucks, but with the NR cost what it is I would (and am) being hesitant. I hope to make it up to Bear Lake in the next week or two to do some recon work and see if there is anything to make me swipe the card this fall. Feel free to dm me if you decide to make the trip, I will share what info I have on the area.

That winter was rough for sure. I was out there with my dad in early November 2016 and the surprise snow collapsed/broke our tent and we ended up grabbing a hotel room in Montpelier. It's beautiful country but there are a fair number of hunters there and quote a few guys are running ATV's. Be prepared to put some miles on your boots to get away from others. We saw deer every day, and nearly a buck per day on average even while driving to/from areas we wanted to hunt. Dad connected on a small buck and I'm fairly confident that we could have filled both tags if our trip hadn't been turned upside down by the snow.

That was a crazy winter for sure. This one we are currently in has been heavy, but there have been enough breaks that if it starts to trend towards warmer weather now I think the herds will be fine.

There were a lot of out of state hunters in the area as well. Quite a few trucks in the area sporting CA tags. But technically I was as well, so I guess that is what you get with an over the counter tag. Still worth it to add another season to my fall.

The latest IDFG proposals seem to be trending towards reducing the percentage of non-resident tags in some of these OTC units. I know Diamond Creek elk unit is near impossible to get now as a non-resident. I can't disagree with them doing it either. If I were a resident I would be miffed about losing so many tags to non-residents.

Just revisting this thread from earlier in the year. Anyone have anything new to share about these areas? Still thinking about unit 76 again this year. Anyone see many Elk on your travels around there?

Just revisting this thread from earlier in the year. Anyone have anything new to share about these areas? Still thinking about unit 76 again this year. Anyone see many Elk on your travels around there?

Go to enjoy the hunt/mountains and you won't be disappointed. The elk tag for that area sold out in something like 1 hour when it went on sale in December 2018; that should tell you something.

Go to enjoy the hunt/mountains and you won't be disappointed. The elk tag for that area sold out in something like 1 hour when it went on sale in December 2018; that should tell you something.
Oh wow, must be a few running around there. I need to get on my research a lil more.

My youngest brother, my Dad have an OTC rifle mule deer tag for Idaho and plan to be in that 66A unit by the season start date of Oct. 10th until the 18th, we are leaving West Virginia on the 6th to get there. He decided to go there since it will be out first trip and a couple friends of his and their Dad will be in the Diamond Creek elk unit of 66A and 76. They are not looking for monster bucks, but whatever legal buck they can find or even black bear (for my Dad). He recently heard about the winter kill on mule deer in that 66A unit and is a bit bummed, but we are mostly just going on a camping trip to new country across the US with the possibility of taking a deer, black bear or cougar as well as some fishing. Kind of a good perspective to take the pressure off and just enjoy the trip and the beautiful country. Obviously any tips for high country mule deer during that time period would be helpful.

That's a good plan, not sure where exactly we're headed yet or what date but we will be out in some beautiful Idaho country sometime in October.
nice I can't afford a tag, poor $$ management and I need a better paying job. Silly me also put a rifle on layaway and some other things happened that took my tag money, but next year I will be out after them. This year I will just have a 7 day fishing license and maybe a 3 day small game license.
I tried to help my brother by doing some e-scouting for him on google earth and a free trial of On-X, but he said he is just going to start at high elevation and walk and glass, if he doesn't see anything he will move down in elevation. I was hoping that he would at least pick some starting points to look at first.

I Think we may check out 48/49. I went there in 2014 and think there may be some other areas I would like to check out now that I have a better feel for what things actually look like on google earth.

I Think we may check out 48/49. I went there in 2014 and think there may be some other areas I would like to check out now that I have a better feel for what things actually look like on google earth.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Way to change it up. I wish you the best of luck wherever you go.

Yeah the winterkill hasn’t been gnarly in those units at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back