What critter chit this?

A poop thread? Seriously? mtmuley

If you were hunting that might be a good sign that something you're after is in the area. So do you know if it's from a deer or an elk?

Also because of the elevation I'd rule out whitetails.

Last edited:
In reviewing the pics it seems to me to be from 2 different critters. The 1st pic might be an elk and the 2nd smaller pellet type from a deer. The 2 piles were about 10 feet from each other and the difference in appearance is what piqued my curiosity.

Elk for sure. The last pic is probably a calf. They're often in the area by Artists' Point - pretty rare to see deer down there with any regularity.

Research it. At any gift store in YNP you can purchase the informative, illustrative, humorous book entitled "WHO POOPED IN THE PARK?", written at a level we can all comprehend.

When they are clumped together like that, the deer were eating moist lush forage. The stuff we are used to seeing is when the deer are eating drier forage. I saw a presentation by an ecologist about a year ago and that stuck with me.

When they are clumped together like that, the deer were eating moist lush forage. The stuff we are used to seeing is when the deer are eating drier forage. I saw a presentation by an ecologist about a year ago and that stuck with me.

That makes sense, mine are eating apples and peaches.

Yep, have seen that quite when whitetails were eating 2nd crop clover/alfalfa in hay fields in the midwest.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back