Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The resurrection......

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Wet sanding with Seafin oil.

How did you like the Seafin oil for this purpose? Did it get tacky as it dried? It finished nicely. I had to get pretty aggressive with rottenstone & sawdust w/ some BLO to fill the grain on my drilling due to the open pores, even then I needed to add a touch of tru oil to help keep the fill in place. Yours looks like it has a little tighter grain than mine though.

rtraverdavis - we can confuse the heck out of you on refinishing. :) It's pretty straightforward.

rtraverdavis - we can confuse the heck out of you on refinishing. :) It's pretty straightforward.

Ready to be confused::)

A3378DBD-2B80-4957-B4F2-945C6B454BBA.jpg
C8CB425E-81EC-47B7-BB24-9368691E3F0A.jpg
59945FF0-2FF2-4A93-A51B-8BBF338DA2A1.jpg
BA57E4DA-CB26-49D6-9BC2-C7D38C45381C.jpg
68583660-81B8-4AFE-8865-E1633393AD0D.jpg
4E5CF172-BC72-493F-8F7B-C5368F6EB01E.jpg

The checkering is in good shape, though the checks are concave. I have no clue what to do about the black caps at the front and bottom of the stock. I’m handy with a paintbrush or spray can, though I’m guessing there’s a bit more to it than that. It would be really neat to restore this old gun, and mean a hell of a lot to my dad, but I’d feel like hell if I ruined it. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• D6A76711-5888-4C8B-AD24-9A8520916DA0.jpg
    D6A76711-5888-4C8B-AD24-9A8520916DA0.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 153
I would imagine that most of it cold be cleared up with a selection of sandpaper and some elbow grease finished with a lacquer. Not sure how to go about going over the checkering, but I'm thinking if that looks good don't touch it. I think you can re-blue the metal pretty easily as well as long as you're careful.

That checkering is pressed in, don’t even think about doing anything to it. So you want a different type of finish? Those heavy gloss finishes are a bitch to get off, but Citristrip will get it done. Probably multiple coats. A varnish would be easy, and you could stain the stock to highlight the grain. I am partial to oil, and if you go that route I can help you with the process.

That checkering is pressed in, don’t even think about doing anything to it. So you want a different type of finish? Those heavy gloss finishes are a bitch to get off, but Citristrip will get it done. Probably multiple coats. A varnish would be easy, and you could stain the stock to highlight the grain. I am partial to oil, and if you go that route I can help you with the process.

This.

Get some citristrip, a brass brush & nylon brush like these, and strip that stock down to the bare wood.

Then you'll want to look to raise any dents or smooth out any scratches that go below the finish. This is where most people start to mess up. It's a light touch on sanding. You're not looking to remove a bunch of material, just buff out the scratches while maintaining lines. There are a ton of tutorials on youtube on how to do this as well. I'm partial to an oil finish, like JLS, but I'd also note that tru-oil can be decent if done with some attention to detail. I'll post up some photos from the last stock I redid that is a mix of stained boiled linseed oil and tru-oil after I get done with some meetings.

Refinishing a stock is fun and time consuming. Be prepared for it to take at least a month, if done properly. Patience is the key to a good finish.

Thanks guys. This will be a winter project--no way I have time right now. I figured that heavy varnish would be difficult to get off. I'll get some citristrip, study up on how to use it, and start in. Probably over winter break. Ben, I look forward to those pictures.

Once again, thank you. You do a nice job with a stock, JLS. That pre-64 M70 is particularly nice. After we get settled into our new house a bit more and hunting season is over I’ll dig in. I’ve got a lot to learn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back