Rinellla and WSF

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Great episode that changed my views of the Wild Sheep Foundation. I'm not a sheep guy, and I'll freely admit I had a distorted perception of this group. I think I have a much better picture after listening to this episode.

Maybe for my 50th birthday I'll buy myself and unlimited sheep tag.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/ep-132-sheep-on-the-mountain/

You should go check out the show in Reno. If you go once, you’ll be back.

You should go check out the show in Reno. If you go once, you’ll be back.

Unfortunately, my discretionary budget of money and time doesn’t accommodate events like this. I’ll just keep buying raffle tickets for now.

Great episode that changed my views of the Wild Sheep Foundation. I'm not a sheep guy, and I'll freely admit I had a distorted perception of this group. I think I have a much better picture after listening to this episode.

Maybe for my 50th birthday I'll buy myself and unlimited sheep tag.

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/ep-132-sheep-on-the-mountain/

I need to finish the episode, but I think my views on the sheep world are similar to yours.

I need to finish the episode, but I think my views on the sheep world are similar to yours.

Probably about the same as how I used to view people who hunted bird with side by sides and pointing dogs.

Between that podcast and Randy’s sheep hunt and the Big Horn sheep hunt, it makes me want to go. Guess I should sign up for the <1% club.

I've never had any desire to hunt sheep, and I'm still not really sure that I do - but after listening to that episode, I'll be sending my membership in soon.

Good choice, I hear french guns are only useful for tying white surrender flags to the end thereof.

The French hunting culture is a lot more egalitarian than the English or German. And they make some damned fine arms.

WSF is good people and they do great work.

Read link above. Also Google the names.

To watch a great sheep advocate and Idaho WSF Treasurer Bryan Moore get the boot for simply saying his opinion is that Idaho shouldn't release more action tags. That was more than unsettling. To personally sit in on Idaho WSF meeting and watch them demand an apology for simply stating his opinion was pretty sad and a lot more telling than some lip service they give on that podcast about not wanting more than 1 or 2 tags for auction. WSF would like as many tags as a can get their hands on.
As evidence by backing Doug Sayer in his endless pursuit of more and more auction tags and giving a long time volunteer the boot.

Also claiming in the Podcast that WSF spends a million dollar to put on a show just to auction a tag for 300 K and 90% goes back to the ground well that sounds a little fishy why don't you just donate that 1 million you spent on the show? Oh yeah we are ignoring all of the other profits the show created and the thing that brought everyone through the door was the tags. To sit and talk like wsf looses money on the sheep show is more than misleading it's blatantly dishonest.
Wsf is for more sheep on the mountain and more auction tags in their hands.

Not necessarily in that order.

Read link above. Also Google the names.

To watch a great sheep advocate and Idaho WSF Treasurer Bryan Moore get the boot for simply saying his opinion is that Idaho shouldn't release more action tags. That was more than unsettling. To personally sit in on Idaho WSF meeting and watch them demand an apology for simply stating his opinion was pretty sad and a lot more telling than some lip service they give on that podcast about not wanting more than 1 or 2 tags for auction. WSF would like as many tags as a can get their hands on.
As evidence by backing Doug Sayer in his endless pursuit of more and more auction tags and giving a long time volunteer the boot.

Also claiming in the Podcast that WSF spends a million dollar to put on a show just to auction a tag for 300 K and 90% goes back to the ground well that sounds a little fishy why don't you just donate that 1 million you spent on the show? Oh yeah we are ignoring all of the other profits the show created and the thing that brought everyone through the door was the tags. To sit and talk like wsf looses money on the sheep show is more than misleading it's blatantly dishonest.
Wsf is for more sheep on the mountain and more auction tags in their hands.

Not necessarily in that order.

Totally agree on how shitty it was with Bryan. That's a state chapter, and I think the national crew didn't do well in arbitrating and I've told them as much. The MT State Chapter does outstanding work, as does the Wyoming chapter, from my experience. I've also been through enough battles with the WSF national guys to know that they're good advocates for wildlife, even when I disagree with them.

On the sheep show and the auction tag - They do spend significant resources to market those tags and they do return 90% of the MT Gov's tag to the state. That's the law. SO I can see how they would lose money on that, while still making money on the Sheep Show, which absolutely should be a money maker.

No group is perfect. I've gone rounds with RMEF on roadless areas and other issues, I've disagreed with WSF on monuments reviews and I've had disagreements with a lot of other orgs on specific issues. I think you have to take the entirety of their work and subtract the bad to find the sum total, and for me, WSF remains in the positive column.

On the sheep show and the auction tag - They do spend significant resources to market those tags and they do return 90% of the MT Gov's tag to the state. That's the law. SO I can see how they would lose money on that, while still making money on the Sheep Show, which absolutely should be a money maker.

Its possible it's just the way I took the conversation but he was acting as if the sheep show was a loss to wsf and those darn auction tags are a cost prohibitive burden. We all know its absolutely a money making endeavor.
Those tags are the biggest draw and in a round about way make more than 10% for wsf
I'm not sure if you listened to that part?
I would appreciate some honesty just say yeah we made a profit. If not let's see if another org wants the burden of the tags.

Its possible it's just the way I took the conversation but he was acting as if the sheep show was a loss to wsf and those darn auction tags are a cost prohibitive burden. We all know its absolutely a money making endeavor.
Those tags are the biggest draw and in a round about way make more than 10% for wsf
I'm not sure if you listened to that part?
I would appreciate some honesty just say yeah we made a profit. If not let's see if another org wants the burden of the tags.

I'll re-listen. I could have spaced it. I'm old, and somewhat deaf. :)

Also I believe idaho wsf was saying that national was the one asking for a public apology to Doug. There were a few ht members in that room who can correct me if my memory failed me.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back