MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

North Central KY Transplant

asdew1880

Just joined the forum, mainly to look for hunting partners and advice on upcoming hunts; especially for the chance to talk to like minded public land hunters. I'm 29, grew up in southwest OH, relocated to Boston for 2 years and now am back in the Midwest and looking to start going on some major western hunts!!:D I've only been actively hunting the past four years though I grew up duck hunting with my Dad in MN (no big game hunts). Got back into hunting after college when I stumbled upon Steven Rinella and Randy Newberg. Alot of squirrel hunting in OH, MA and now KY and Alot of hours chasing whitetails. Last Oct I went on my first western hunt, WY antelope in unit 17 (hard hunt, got a doe on public land, almost out of meat!). I guess I could give a short list of hunts/ideas I'm dreaming up and see if their is any advice or input :)

KY Daniel Boone National Forest Muzzleloader/Rifle seasons
OH Shawnee State Forest Modern Gun (handloading my Marlin 1895 .45-70 :cool:)
NE Oglala National Grassland/Pine Ridge Unit General Deer

WY antelope/elk
MT Region 7 deer

Short Bucket List
AK Spring Coastal Black Bear
AK Fall Mountain Black Bear
DIY Moose (WY, ME, AK)
UT Spike Elk
CO Rifle Elk/Mule Deer
AZ Couse Deer

I grew up about 10 minutes from Shawnee, my dad still lives close by there. I am the next county over now. There are some deep hollers down there, and some places back in there that nobody hunts. If you can find them, there are some nice deer in there. Good luck with your hunts!

WELCOME!!

Good looking list for the Midwest!

Where abouts you from in SW Ohio?

WELCOME!!

Good looking list for the Midwest!

Where abouts you from in SW Ohio?

Grew up in Dayton and went to college at Wright State as well! Hunted alot of the "local" public land so now that I'm back in the Midwest I have a couple places I want to check out when I'm back in town.

I grew up about 10 minutes from Shawnee, my dad still lives close by there. I am the next county over now. There are some deep hollers down there, and some places back in there that nobody hunts. If you can find them, there are some nice deer in there. Good luck with your hunts!

I went bow hunting late Oct 3 years ago and saw some things that haunt my dreams; definitely enough to get me back during modern gun season.

Step one: join the Kentucky BHA chapter, we've got some great members in the Louisville area.

A couple of friends and I will be hunting the Boone for whitetail for the first time this year. I did some intensive e-scouting and we hung a cam that captured a massive public land buck. Fingers crossed he makes it to rifle season.

It just goes to show that the Randy model of getting away from public roads and looking for sanctuaries applies to eastern WT the same as it does western bull elk. You don't have to look around too long to realize that hunters here are lazy. Go where they aren't willing to and you'll have good odds.

Step one: join the Kentucky BHA chapter, we've got some great members in the Louisville area.

A couple of friends and I will be hunting the Boone for whitetail for the first time this year. I did some intensive e-scouting and we hung a cam that captured a massive public land buck. Fingers crossed he makes it to rifle season.

It just goes to show that the Randy model of getting away from public roads and looking for sanctuaries applies to eastern WT the same as it does western bull elk. You don't have to look around too long to realize that hunters here are lazy. Go where they aren't willing to and you'll have good odds.

Is the KY chapter official? I couldn't find any info online. I'm very interested in joining or starting a chapter. I'll be out during 1st muzzleloader to DBNF, going out of state during rifle season this year.

Is the KY chapter official? I couldn't find any info online. I'm very interested in joining or starting a chapter. I'll be out during 1st muzzleloader to DBNF, going out of state during rifle season this year.

Not yet, but we've got a board in place. Should be official by Rendezvous next May.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back