Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Muzzy 4-Blade vs. Slick Tricks

Brian in Montana

Already thinking about next year. I've never used Slicks, but I've shot a couple deer with Muzzy 4-blades. I was impressed with how they fly through stuff and hardly slow down, but they required a lot of tweaking and tuning, and then they would windplane a bit. In those days I mainly hunted deer, and a friend convinced me to try 100grn Spitfires. Those are great deer heads; killed about a dozen deer and a couple of antelope with them and never had any problems. I was always reluctant to shoot them at an elk as they certainly don't penetrate like Muzzys; however, being a mechanical adherent at that point, I tried Tekken 2's. 2 elk, a deer, an antelope later, I was convinced and I'd still be using them today if G5 hadn't quit making them.

So I bowhunt elk primarily these days and find myself wanting to return to a fixed blade. The only one I'm really interested in are the Muzzy 4's I've used, but I'm curious about Slick Trick. Pretty similar design. I want to know if you've shot game, preferably big game (elk or moose, maybe bear), and what is your impression of any difference in performance from one to the other?

i have used Slick Trick Magnums in 100gr., and or the Slick Trick Vipers for the past few years with great success. they fly true out to 50yds. Past that i have no idea, because i've never tried it. Furthest shot on a game animal was 48yds. and was a complete pass thru. Never tried Muzzy Broadheads, so i can't give you a comparison. But i like them and would definitely recommend them. Good luck in all your future hunting adventures.

They will penetrate just fine. I've shot them on targets out to 80 yards, and they would hit same POI as a field point.

I really like slick tricks. I've shot a few javelina with 100 gr magnums and was very impressed with the holes and accuracy. I've strongly considered switching to viper tricks for elk.

I shoot the slick trick standard 100gr and they fly great out to 60. That's as far as I shoot my broad heads. They are sharp and kill things promptly in my experience. This on whitetails btw.

I regularly shoot slick trick to 100 yards (don’t shoot that distance hunting but great confidence builder) and they hit with field points. I use the standards because I always get a noise (whistle) with the mags. I have shot muzzy in the past but found they required a fair bit of work to get them to fly well. I have now shoot the slick truck for 8-10 years and have no plans on switching. They fly great and have killed everything I have shot.

Good luck

I've killed 3 elk with Slick Trick Magnums. They break bone and penetrate. All they were complete pass throughs. My arrows are light and slow compared to most. 372 grains and 275 FPS. My bow is well tuned and the Slick Tricks hit right where my field points hit. Farthest shot was 50.8 yards and blew right through breaking ribs on both sides.

I shoot both 100 grain Magnums and Vipertricks. Both are great and accurate as long as you have a well tuned bow/arrows and do your part as the shooter.

I've killed 3 elk in the past 6 years with Slick Trick 100gr Magnums. One pass through. The two non-pass-through one lodged under the skin on the far side shoulder and one was a frontal shot. None of the three went more than 50 yards. My partner hunts with the Muzzy's and has had similar results. They are both great heads and will put down anything you put them through the vitals with.

I have only shot one Elk with a slick trick 100 grain 1 1/8 inch. Shot was 30 yards broke a rib going in X the heart and broke the off side leg bone. The broadhead was still sharp and intact and could be used again. They fly great and are easy to tune. Plus you get 4 heads per pack vs 3 with most others.

Dan

On the weight of previous such questions, I have Slick Tricks on my bolts. Field point = Slick Trick impact locations, and my target designed for broadheads needs a backup target as they penetrate through enough that one is not enough (super fast crossbow).

If you are starting from scratch it seems to take more work to get Muzzy's to fly with fieldpoints than does slick tricks, but if you are set, you are set. Both make super sharp blades and have both killed everything that went into the boiler room.

Good luck

I never could get the muzzy 4 blade to fly decent for me. The muzzy trocar flies awesome. Slick Tricks have always flown good too. I was pretty impressed with what a 100 grain slick trick standard did on this elk. He died quick and in sight.

Attachments

• hunting 2009 007 resized.jpg
    hunting 2009 007 resized.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 264
I watched my wife shoot a cement wall last night with a viper trick. I was super impressed with how it held up considering what it hit and it only reinforced my like for them.

Might also look at the new wicked trick. Looks like good head. People have been making their own versions foe awhile.

Back