Crazy? Why not?!?

Sabot

I’ve got the itch to go try my hand at archery elk. The unit I’m looking at has about 9% success and is actually in the top 25 units in Colorado. I’ve hunted this unit 2 other times so I know the ground. Here’s the crazy part:

I’ve never blown a bugle or cow Call in my life, and I only have 3 full days to hunt...and I’m going solo.

I think that drops my odds to about .05%

I’m really wrestling with doing this because it’s gonna run me over $1500 to do it coming from Texas to Colorado, diesel tag etc.

I keep hearing Randy say I will run out of health before I run out of money, but I don’t know if this is really worth it.

I have a 3rd season mule deer tag so I’ll get to hunt this year regardless.

Waste of time and money?

I have a connection for pack out if I get lucky.

Go. Not to be morbid, but I’m a paramedic and often respond to people that just drop dead in the prime of their life from some condition they didn’t know they had. If you have the chance to go, go. Like Randy has said before, you’ll never be on your death bed thinking “man I sure spent too much time hunting”
good luck.

If you go you have a chance to tag out. If you don't go you have 0 chance to tag out, but the rest of your life to regret it.

Dan

UPDATE:

I went! Didn't get an elk, but learned a ton and had a great time. Highlight was stalking up on a mule deer buck that was raking a tree. Got a snippet of video at 40 yards before he spotted me. I consider the tag fee more like tuition for 3 days of learning and testing both myself and my gear.

If anyone else is on the fence about making a trip, JUST GO!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back