Cwd deer/elk

Dl1969

What’s your opinion on cwd,do you have your animals tested and will you still consume them if they test positive? I have never had my animals tested but have been considering it.

I've never had an animal tested, but have never hunted in a CWD area. This year I will be hunting mulies in a part of Wyoming that is known to have CWD. I will be testing my deer if I'm so fortunate as to kill one, and will not eat the meat if it tests positive.

I'm having the Buck that I recently shot tested, he was very skinny. But he was also old, I'm hopeful he comes back clean but I wont eat it if it test positive.

I did both the CWD hunts in MT last year, none came back positive. I had no issues consuming deer from CWD areas.
Had it come back positive, I would use as bear bait. Even though there is NO research that confirms a transmission from a human eating an infected animal. There are studies out there that have ancillary impacts, but one was a lab animal being fed infected meat exclusively for a great amount of time. Now that it is in MT, it has really gotten me to dive more into it. I'm also in the same valley as the Rocky Mountain Labs which makes talking to the experts just a drive away.

Where do you send it to get tested/how?

I was wondering the same, how do out of staters test their animals? I have never had any tested before. I know there are places in MN that one can get your deer tested but how would I go about that with a Wyoming deer with transplanting laws? Has anyone ran across that with a solution?

The Vet lab in Laramie will test them for you. They have a drop off spot and if during business days they will pull the sample for you. Go around behind the building for the lab.
The lab is at the Snowy Range RD exit on I-80.
Also the research facility in Sybill Canyon may be able to take a sample for you during their work hours.
It takes about 3 weeks for the test unless you pay a $30 fee and then results can be had in about 10 days.
Regional G&F offices can also take samples for you as can field officers, GW or biologist.

I was wondering the same, how do out of staters test their animals? I have never had any tested before. I know there are places in MN that one can get your deer tested but how would I go about that with a Wyoming deer with transplanting laws? Has anyone ran across that with a solution?

Take it to any regional office of WGFD and they will sample it for you. Also, pretty much every biologist or warden in the field could sample for you as well. You should have your results within a week or two. Most people, even during the peak period when most of the deer seasons were open we’re getting results within a week.

Ok, 2 questions...

1) How long does it take for the testing to be done?
2) If your animal does test positive, does the state issue you another permit? Again refer to question one...

Ok, 2 questions...

2) If your animal does test positive, does the state issue you another permit? Again refer to question one...

I don't know about question #1. As for question #2, starting in 2018 Colorado stopped issuing replacement tags for positive cwd tests.

So if I did take a sample to a Wyoming regional office what kind of sample does someone take? In Mn when the DNR had mandatory testing I thought they wanted the head with a few inches of neck still attached to pull a lymphoid from the neck area. That's if I remember right, didn't get a Mn deer last year so I never had one tested. When out of state I do gutless method in the field, if I would to bring a sample in to a WY fish an game office what kind of sample do ya bring? A call to their office I'm sure would answer this but since we're on topic.
Thanks guys.

Starting last year I will now exclusively test every animal I kill in a CWD area. If it tests positive I will not eat it. Even if the risk of transition is low I would prefer it to be zero.

So if I did take a sample to a Wyoming regional office what kind of sample does someone take? In Mn when the DNR had mandatory testing I thought they wanted the head with a few inches of neck still attached to pull a lymphoid from the neck area. That's if I remember right, didn't get a Mn deer last year so I never had one tested. When out of state I do gutless method in the field, if I would to bring a sample in to a WY fish an game office what kind of sample do ya bring? A call to their office I'm sure would answer this but since we're on topic.
Thanks guys.

The first thing you can do is take the lymph nodes out yourself. Below is directions on how to do that.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Vet%20Services/Removal-of-Retropharyngeal-Lymph-Nodes-for-CWD-Testing-WGFD.pdf

Otherwise, you would need to remove the head and be aware of where the lymph nodes might be to be sure to have enough neck attached.

Ok, 2 questions...

#1 - It depends on the testing agency and their backlog. Wyoming is 1-2 weeks. Some places are 30 days.

#2 - It depends. Some states do, most states don't.

What do you think the odds are of you becoming the first patient?

Last edited:
I will have all my animals tested. I'm not too worried about humans getting it, but I want to do my part to increase the sample sizes where I hunt. I'm more concerned about the threat CWD poses to elk and deer.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back