Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Australia 2018 Duck Hunting

S13tsilvia

2018 Duck Opening
Duck hunting is a fairly big thing in our hunting group of friends and each opening we go away and get on the beers and then shoot the weekend, depending on the year we get different amounts of bag sizes but its normally around 8 birds each.
No auto shotguns or pumps area allowed due our stupid government and unless you have a very special license 99% of the hunters use under and overs.
I arranged for 3 mates to meet me at a local farm I have access to and we jump some dams and walk the river.
It was going to be very warm around 100F in your language by about 9am but we had great success with plenty of birds shot, most wood ducks but we got 3 black ducks and 2 teal in the mix.
We used a mix of steel shot varying in size from 2 to 4 and 32gr to 36gr loads as lead shot is banned for duck hunting now in Australia.
My Hugo the lazy lab did pretty well and got most birds as requested but did go a bit "deaf" towards the end when he got tired haha, he is now 4 and i have had him out with me since he was a puppy and is a pretty good retriever.
All ducks were plucked and breasted and a few of the guys kept some whole to oven bake later on.
Another good day with mates and a few beers after to rehydrate
The happy lads
Arranged for 3 mates to meet me at a local farm to jump some dams and walk the river. Very warm but we had great success with plenty of birds shot, most woodies but we got 3 blackies and 2 teal in the mix. Hugo the lazy lab did pretty well and got most birds as requested but did go a bit "deaf" towards the end when he got tired haha
Another good day with mates and a few beers after to rehydrate
The happy lads

Friday night before opening we did a quick spotlight session and I zapped these 2 with my 204 mini howa who were play fighting with each other and I had to yell out to split them up and stop moving ha ha

Last edited:
Very cool! Always cool to see how people hunt in other parts of the world. Is that how most duck hunting is done in Australia? Do you guy's ever try and hunt them with decoys and calls?

Last edited:
yeah we do decoys and calls when on big lakes or bodies of other water, but jumping dams no need for that sort of stuff normally.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back