Meat Processors/Antler Shippers in New Mexico

Northernlilywhite

Hi Guys,

My dad and I are heading out west from NH to New Mexico this fall for a late season ML hunt in the Gila (excited is an understatement) and I am trying to figure out how to get the elk antlers and excess meat home if we are successful. I have hunted out west before and with Antelope I just took all the meat in coolers on the plane and boxed up the skull and sent it overnight via FedEx. Obviously with an elk just showing up to a local FedEx isn't going to work.

So three questions; two on shipping meat/antlers and one on ML ammo

1. Is finding a processor/taxidermist in New Mexico to process what meat I can't take on the flight and then shipping my skull and shipping to me the best option?
2. Does anybody have any suggestions for processors/taxidermist in the West/Central area (hunting unit 15!). Flying out to Albuquerque. I have a taxi in NH I would use so only interested in shipping the meat and head, not actual taxi work in NM.

3. You aren't allowed to fly black powder or primers on a plane, however I want to use what I am sighting my ML with, so is the best option buy some and ship it to a local shop, call the shop and have them hold some for me, etc . Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Can you locate the powder and primers locally where you will be hunting? You might have to pay the Haz Mat fee to ship the powder and primers there. Sorry, I am not much help... Road trip would sure take care of all of your problems, except maybe the two or three days driving.

There is a Cabelas in Albuquerque, If they don't have what you need in stock i would bet you could order it online and have it shipped to that location to meet you. Sorry I am no help on the meat transportation issue.

Are you trying to do a euro or shoulder mount? If a shoulder you could always split the skull plate and pack them in a large duff. Any reason you can't just bone out the meat and take it on the plane with you just like that antelope?

Northernlilywhite
You may want to see if there is a meat processor in the Quemado area. There is Green Valley Meats in ABQ. I've heard mixed reviews on them but personally didn't have an issue the one time I've taken game meat to them. If the processor freezes all of the meat, you could pack into a cooler and just pay the oversized luggage fee for a cooler. The meat should be OK on your trip home barring any major delays. Call ahead to Sportsman's warehouse and Cabelas to make certain they have your powder and primers on the shelf.

I don't see why you wouldn't clean the skull and pack and ship it yourself. Scrape it down well, hit the car wash and blast it off and dry it overnight. Hit the goodwill and get an old towel, wrap it around the skull to soak up anything that might drip off, bag the skull, tape it well around the antlers and box it up. The most difficult thing will be finding a sturdy box if you get a big bull.

What's wrong with buying the same components in Albuquerque here (sportsman's, Cabela's, charlie's sporting goods, etc) and taking a couple practice shots to see if you're zeroed?

Last edited:
Back