Rifle Issues

Glad you got it doped out. This is a textbook example for folks to follow when they can't "get a rifle to shoot". You simply HAVE to isolate one variable at a time, or you're just pissing ammo, time, and money down the drain.

What are you going to re scope with?

This comment should get permanently tagged to the top of this forum.

One variable at a time is paramount.

I'll be using my brothers newest gen Vortex HS-T 4-16x. I've verified that it tracks properly on 3 rifles. However, after this season and over winter, I'm going to step up to that higher tier. I think I'm done with mid range scopes ($300 to $600). As someone else mentioned above, a killer warranty is great, but you don't want to have to keep using it and a warranty does nothing if it screws you on a hunt.

I'll probably go with a Nightforce, but will explore Zeiss, the high end Leupolds, etc. I enjoy dialing and tracking/reliability is crucial to me.

Good work.

I've never had an issue with a Leupold VX3. Don't jump past them just because you're liking alpha glass (which is worth the money).

If you enjoy dialing and shooting a lot Id look into a NF, bushnell LRHS, SWFA or S&B.

What I've noticed too, is folks ignore the easiest variable all the time. I deal with firearm issues a lot, and the first thing we do is have another shooter try and replicate the issue, be it malfunctions, zero, etc. It's so damned easy and quick.

The lowest hanging fruit is always the shooter and the scope. After that, it takes a little more digging.

On scopes, I'm going to buy one for a new rifle this winter, and I'm torn between a VX5HD and a SWFA.

Even though it sucks to have a scope problem at least you figured it out in time to do something about it. Congratulations on solving the problem and good luck with your next choice, whatever it is.

Back