DIY Alaska Trip, Adak - Chugach (Pic Heavy)

Glad you had a great trip. I love looking out my window and seeing the Chugach.

Man, congratulations on a great AK adventure and a full on Adak surf and turf! Adak can be finicky when it comes to weather, but as you mentioned, it looks like you nailed it for your hunt. It's not nearly as far out as it seems, huh? I hope you can get out to the Island again, as you saw there's so much to see and do and it looks like you guys did it right.

Ps. I've heard that the military will be reclaiming the base, so there will be changes, don't know what they will be but they are coming. Get it while you can.

I was able to fly back with my caribou + some fish in just my carry-on using a roll top drybag in my packs meat-shelf and my yeti. Total baggage fees for the entire trip were $50 ($25 each way). Big gear winners from the trip were garmin inreach + phone with Onxmaps, solo hunter rifle cover (actually kept my rifle pretty dry while crossing a river in a pack raft), and sea to summit dry bags (brought a down bag on the trip and it never even got damp).

Really appreciate all the info glasseye, bambistew, and others shared with me the last couple of months. Hope everyone can get out there and do a dream trip!
Mad respect for this accomplishment and even more for just going for it man. Didn’t let nothing hold you back not even money and figured out how to do it. 👍

Mad respect for this accomplishment and even more for just going for it man. Didn’t let nothing hold you back not even money and figured out how to do it. 👍

Thanks man! Lots of great knowledge on this forum, if you really want to make a hunt happen and are on a budget the folks here will definitely help you figure out how to cut corners as much as possible.

Not sure how I missed this one before. Awesome story and trip!

Thanks man! Lots of great knowledge on this forum, if you really want to make a hunt happen and are on a budget the folks here will definitely help you figure out how to cut corners as much as possible.
That’s what I love about Hunt Talk. Great community here.

Looks like an awesome trip! My cousin and I are trying to plan an Adak hunt, but I'm a little unsure of the best way to get the meat cooled down and back to Anchorage. Would you be willing to share your experience with packing and transporting the meat? Any advice at all would be much appreciated!

Looks like an awesome trip! My cousin and I are trying to plan an Adak hunt, but I'm a little unsure of the best way to get the meat cooled down and back to Anchorage. Would you be willing to share your experience with packing and transporting the meat? Any advice at all would be much appreciated!
Not sure of your logistics, but we used an outfitter to rent a suburban and a house for the last couple days of our trip. The house was set up for this kind of trip and there were multiple freezers in the garage.

We cut and wrapped the meat and load them in the freezers and then just used fish boxes and plastic totes to get them to Anchorage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back