Caribou Gear

DIY Alaska Trip, Adak - Chugach (Pic Heavy)

Great adventure, I can’t wait to get back to AK next year. Thanks for the motivation

Thanks for sharing your story and am glad you enjoyed your first Alaskan adventure! May there be many more.

Great write up and pic's. Your smart to go now and not wait until you think you have the extra time and money.

Congrats,
Dan

Big gear winners from the trip were ....., solo hunter rifle cover (actually kept my rifle pretty dry while crossing a river in a pack raft), ....

Could you tell me more about this? Is it fairly rugged or closer to a stitched Tyvek? Noisy? Has me curious.

Way to go! Too many people dream of trips like that without actually doing them. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Could you tell me more about this? Is it fairly rugged or closer to a stitched Tyvek? Noisy? Has me curious.

This is the one I got...had it a couple of years now but his was it's first time in really foul weather. My rifle has a boyd stock and a blued barrel and action... so I was a bit worried about water damage in AK. The outside is a cordura or cordura like fabric that has a strong elastic band woven into it, the inside has some sort of plastic coating. I figured it was better than nothing, and because it was full length went with it over the rapid X cover. I had my rifle in my lap in the packraft with the barrel in the bottom sitting in a pool of water and the stock getting constantly splashed. When we got off the river the cover was soaked, I pulled it off and to my surprise the scope, action, and barrel were bone dry.

Definitely rugged, pretty darn quiet... maybe not as quiet as neoprene. Way burlier than Tyvek, like I said I think it's cordura... very similar feel to my backpack, held up well in oak brush in CO and devils club in AK.

https://solohntr.com/product/mtn-lite-xl-rifle-cover-stone/

rapid x
https://store.themeateater.com/collections/landing-page/products/meateater-x-rapid-rifle-cover

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back