Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

archery practice routines

cheeser

curious to see what practice routines are the norm and others which maybe worth trying.

example: i have been hunting elk with bow 68# draw for 5 yrs.
i try to shoot 60 shots/day
2 sets of 12 arrows at 50 yds
2 set of 20 arrows at 30 yds

the final 20 arrows i am tired and wobbly, but i have 9 dots on my target and my goal is basically put 2 arrows in each dot .

i am a weightlifter and i try to train like my lifting heavy weights and low reps to start and low weight and burn outs to end.

the last set of 20 arrows i am really tired but it makes me have to really concentrate on my mechanics to make consistent decent shots

I avoid shooting too many arrows at a time. If you do, you take a risk of developing a bad form/habits while trying to make the shot when tired. Well in advance of the season, I'll shoot until I feel like it's not smooth, and I'll stop. Closer to season, I'll shoot maybe a dozen arrows, and put the bow away. During season, if I'm hunting around the house, I'll shoot one arrow at a random distance, out to 60 yards, each day with the mindset of that one shot being my one shot in the field.
With the let off of my bow, and the fact that I've been shooting since '82, I don't really need to gain strength, but to keep my form and mind right.
That's just my opinion though.

I shoot about 30 arrows a day 5 days a week on average a little less right after season ends but more around this time of year. I try to not shoot more then 30 at a time as stated above shooting after you’ve become fatigued can promote bad habits and poor form. As for my shooting routine I shoot 5 sets of 6 arrows from 10-60 yards switching up ranges, angles, and shooting positions (standing,kneeling,sitting,etc.) in between each set. I’ll also occasionally do a set of jumping jacks or run down the road and back before shooting to simulate a situation where I may have to shoot with a high heart rate which with elk hunting is a likely possibility.

I'm with the others who've posted about not shooting into fatigue to avoid forming bad habits. For me, that's about 25 arrows and I'll shoot that 3-5 times a week. Now that we're getting very close to the season I'll shoot just 5 arrows a day at various distances with broadheads. I also practice from standing, sitting, kneeling, with elevated heartrate, etc. Anything I can do to simulate real world situations.

I avoid over shooting. I end up making "drive by shots" and other bad habits that can lead to target panic. Then it's back to the blind bale for me.

I also prefer practicing on 3D targets.

I will normally shoot a cold set of 5, do a series of push ups and shoot 5, series of jumping jacks shoot 5, rest, shoot one more round and be done. I'm not trying to fatigue myself, but more elevate heart rate.

Once spring hits, i start to shoot once a week, 3 shots and that's it. as the weather warms up and summer comes around, i increase my frequency of shooting until i'm shooting everyday, but still only 3 shots. each time the distance is varied, as well as how i shoot, sometimes i sit, sometimes from an elevated position, basically i try to mimic possible hunting scenarios, i also do this at various times of the day, sometimes before work, sometimes during the heat of the day, during rain storms, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back