Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Finn from the Cascades, Season 1

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
It passed the quail test last week. Going to try some moderate (if there is such a thing) chukar country tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Next year hunt sounds like a great idea. Hoping to have a few new areas scouted out by then. Lets hope that the late winter isn't too rough on the birds and the hatch this spring is a success.

Late season form. If we tried this hunt in October it would have killed us both. Tough day, it appears this spot has been hit pretty good, as it’s usually a gimme. We ended up in the nosebleed section, but we finally found birds.

AD3CA6CB-5483-4932-A198-44B6B8D95456.jpg

03FAEC6E-4E82-40FC-BD94-F7DA9EDA854E.jpg

601C3AC0-2DDB-45AB-9E2B-FE69CABF2CC3.jpg

Wow, he's really proving some versatility there. Looks like a hell of a dog

He was making some really strong retrieves in the river. On one, he went all the way across and had to track a cripple into the willows. I thought he might just eat it on the other side, but he swam back with the duck still alive.

We are off to Boise tomorrow for Finn’s VJP (natural ability puppy test) on Saturday. Beautiful looking forecast, and a fun break from the remnants of winter doldrums.

Report card to follow.

Where about are the trials on Saturday? If I can find the time, I would love to watch some well trained dogs work and talk with you about putting together a possible HuntTalk bird hunt.

We are going to be east of Boise. There are six dogs running Friday, Saturday and Sunday for a total of 18. I’ll shoot you a PM tonight.

Report card was a little mixed. Finn rated very good in nose, search, pointing, and cooperation. His tracking only rated a good, which is costly in this testing system.

Not sure if his performance was a result of lack of training, methodology in training, genetic expression, or a bad hair day. Regardless, we aren’t returning him 🙂.

On to force fetch and blood tracks.

Thank you to Sawtooth for coming out. My wife and I really enjoyed visiting with you. Hunt Talkers are good people.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back