Caribou Gear

Leupold - CDS *IF YOU ORDERED RECENTLY YOU NEED TO READ THIS*

I've never used a custom dial, just the stock MOA and a laminated drop chart. If the shot is far enough to twist the dial, there is plenty of time to check the chart.

I've never used a custom dial, just the stock MOA and a laminated drop chart. If the shot is far enough to twist the dial, there is plenty of time to check the chart.

I'll be using the stock MOA dial this year as well. Just got back from the range and the dial they sent me is almost 2 moa off. Quite a bit at 4, 5, and 600 yards. I'm bummed I spent quite a bit of money getting setup with the CDS system. That's why you have to verify everything.

I'll be using the stock MOA dial this year as well. Just got back from the range and the dial they sent me is almost 2 moa off. Quite a bit at 4, 5, and 600 yards. I'm bummed I spent quite a bit of money getting setup with the CDS system. That's why you have to verify everything.

2MOA off at what yardage? That seems pretty bad. Did you verify your drops and info before sending it in?

I prefer dialing MOA anyway.

Are you verifying at elevation/pressure and temperature?

I was wondering about this when I bought a “cds” scope. I looked at the info card with all the info that you send into leupold. My first thought was that my elevation changes a lot where I’ll be using this rifle as well as barometric pressure and humidity. I’d have to have 20 different dials. I’ll just stick to using a kestrel and a ballistic calculator using density altitude as my constant.

Elevation and pressure, yes. Temp is 20 degree difference, but I can't image that throwing me off 2 moa at 600.
Temperature can change impact minimally at 600, it is most likely the pressure that changed. It’s one of the reasons why I started imputing density altitude measurements into my ballistic calculator. It takes in account elevation, temp, humidity, barometric pressure and spits out a single DA measurement. Then I just plug in that altitude into my chart and dial up my dope. It’s quite simple and is usually spot on if I do my part.

Last edited:
600 yards, all info verified. I start getting sideways at about 400, then it gets worse out to 6.

Temp wouldn’t throw it off that much. Pressure would also have to be a pretty drastic change. I’m assuming your testing the dial at the same range you verified.

It could be the dial was cut wrong or that your scope isn’t tracking perfect.
I’d run a tall target test to eliminate the tracking problem and then contact Leupold either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back