Alaska Dall Sheep hunt - All Nine Days

Enjoying this! I fear I may one day be in the 40-year-dream club, as well. This’ll be fun to watch

Time to relocate the rams from yesterday. Once we got the images from yesterday loaded to the camera, the biggest one had 10 rings.

Part 4 is live at the link below.

Tip of the hat to Marcus for fully grunting out that huge loop to try to get to the rams (day 5). I'm sure I would have determined that hike wasn't even possible.

Fully enjoying the day to day films. Alaska wilderness at its most rugged fineness on display.

By this time this day rolls around, I'm in need of a new Potral vein for my liver. One of the roughest hunts ever for my liver.

Part 5 is below.

I'm all caught up. I thought I was in pretty good shape physically and mentally, but just watching you guys sling those huge packs on to start the hike in, and hike up all that damn scree, had me groaning and thinking I need to get back to training.

This looks like a pretty brutal hunt for anybody, but especially for Randy. By Day 5, he is not looking well at all.

One thing that mystifies me about this hunt and most others. Everyone is carrying a 248# backpack that is bursting at the seams on the way in. Minus a few Mountain House food packets, exactly how does one pack out a ram or two, plus meat for the trip out? I see this for a many, if not most backpack hunts. Heck, there isn't enough space in those packs for a pika or a mouse, much less a ram.

Think I skipped one and went to the video where you kill him, very nice.

One thing that mystifies me about this hunt and most others. Everyone is carrying a 248# backpack that is bursting at the seams on the way in. Minus a few Mountain House food packets, exactly how does one pack out a ram or two, plus meat for the trip out? I see this for a many, if not most backpack hunts. Heck, there isn't enough space in those packs for a pika or a mouse, much less a ram.

You make two trips, or you make it fit. Food is quite bulky actually, and my pack is usually at most 75% full starting out, and 1/3 of that is food. Meat takes up maybe 1/2 your pack space. It will all fit, but the weight S-U-C-K-S. Its about 130lbs. A boned out ram, full head and cape is about 90-95lbs depending on ram size and head size.

2 trips is what I would anticipate but given it took the better part of two days to get in, that's 4 days for packing out. OUCH!

Their packs on this trip sure didn't look like there was room to "make it fit". But what do I know.

The last time I packed out a cow elk, half of that cow, boned out completely filled the entire pack and weight just under 90 lbs. I can't carry 130 lbs for 2 days of mountains like that. Frankly, I don't know anyone that can.

I listened to the podcast and am following along with the videos. My hat goes off to both of you, the level of drive both of you showed is nothing more than amazing. Thank you so much for doing this and bringing us along.

These videos are amazing! The title of podcast spoiled the story for me. I wish you guys had titled the podcast ambigously.

Sorry my coverage is lacking while out hunting.

Part 6 is now live (as some of you know)

Man what a tough hunt those mountains are no joke for sure. Markus is about to get it done very soon. Awesome videos a dream hunt.

So what is the back story with Tim Burnett?

Man that sucks for him, I like how real it was with the What the $%#.

If you watch any of the short videos I have you will see I was not made for TV. I cannot keep my mouth shut!

Just release the last one already please!

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back