Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Alaska Dall Sheep hunt - All Nine Days

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Hope this hunt comes across on video as compelling as it was to do in person. Thanks to Eric and Branson Lee of Alaska Adventure Services for asking us to do this hunt and make it into a YouTube series.

Here is Part 1 of 9. Will load a new episode every day until it wraps up.

Thanks for watching. If you've not done so, I hope you will subscribe to our channel.

Last edited:
Day 2 - Time to get to camp and start locating some sheep. Season opens tomorrow.

I just started watching the first episode and one of the first things I see is the note that "This is a designated ATV trail" when you were riding ATVs. I really liked that you made that note. It sends a powerful message to stay on the designated trails and also that you are very aware of the laws and want to make sure you follow them. Nicely done.

I've really been looking forward to watching this hunt! Day 1 looked like a pretty rough hike sidewalling that wash.

Well, damn it, now I'm hooked...can't wait for the next episode. Really glad you took the time to tell the story over the long haul vs. a quick "fly in, found a ram, shot a ram, flew out". This is hunting!

Having to count rings when nothing is obviously full curl is not only nerve racking, but sometimes the outcome sucks. One of these Rams should have gotten a ride back to camp. Marcus' language was better than mine, so we used his audio.

Part 3 below.

The photography in the last part of the video is truly spectacular. There really are no adequate adjectives for those amazing landscapes.

I'm curious if Randy "got'em" with those dry fires. :)

Tough to make them legal when you're excited, and even more so when they are walking away and you want to shoot one so badly.

I'm curious would you guys rely on the guide 100% for counting rings, or would you also want to make sure and double check before pulling the trigger? Ultimately its the guy who pulls the trigger who is responsible. I realize the guides are doing their job, but mistakes do happen. My partners and I have discussed this many times in the past, none of us trust the other past 99% nor would we want to put that burden on the spotter without shouldering some of the responsibility. No matter how sure you are, there is absolutely nothing more nerve racking that walking up on a ram you counted rings to make legal.

Great footage so far!

Tough to make them legal when you're excited, and even more so when they are walking away and you want to shoot one so badly.

I'm curious would you guys rely on the guide 100% for counting rings, or would you also want to make sure and double check before pulling the trigger? Ultimately its the guy who pulls the trigger who is responsible. I realize the guides are doing their job, but mistakes do happen. My partners and I have discussed this many times in the past, none of us trust the other past 99% nor would we want to put that burden on the spotter without shouldering some of the responsibility. No matter how sure you are, there is absolutely nothing more nerve racking that walking up on a ram you counted rings to make legal.

Great footage so far!

If I was to go on a sheep hunt I would for 100% have to trust the guide. It would most likely be my first and only sheep hunt. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have a clue what I was looking at.

I am pretty sure Randy said you have to take a Alaskan guide to go on this hunt. I would assume that puts some of the responsibility on him.

Loving this series so far. It is very refreshing to see strong ethics being shown above all else.

I've only had 2 sheep evaluations - and both were in MT (3/4 curl, normally) - not stressful from a legal perspective (especially since they weren't my tag). One was a breaks ram tag and we had snuck up on 3 bedded rams. One was the shooter, the others not. Right before the shot, the rams got up and started feeding. I was tracking the shooter, and was 110% of him when asked. I've never been so nervous walking up on an animal though, the doubt creeps in for sure.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Not sure why, but that bike lady staring at you while you talked about your duck was hilarious.

So far so good..

I really like this hunt! I ordered my green rubber ducky for the fall!

I might get the shirt too

Last edited by a moderator:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back