Yeti GOBOX Collection

Increase Draw Weight Without Retuning?

BackofBeyond

I'm completely new to the world of archery, but I bought my first bow back in June. Initially, I had the shop set it up with a 60 lb. draw weight. My thinking was keep the draw weight down to minimize picking up bad habits while I was initially learning. Time has come, that I'm thinking about slowing upping the draw weight until I hit the 70 lb. max. So my question is, can I up the draw weight without having to retune my cam timing? I don't have a bow press, and I don't want to have to run to the local bow shop for a touch-up. I realize I'll have to adjust my sight, but that's relatively easy turn of the hex key, as is upping the draw weight. Retuning the cams, not so much.

If it's pertinent, it's a Bowtech RealmX, currently at 60 lb, with a 29" draw length.

If you change the weight any substantial amount, yes you may need to retune. A pound or two..you may not, maybe..l
If you don’t have the skill set or equipment to retune your own bow and having it done by someone else is hassle at this time you better off leaving well enough alone. In all honesty any benefit you received by uping your weight is more in perception then actual performance. 60 pounds is plenty for any game in North America

If you are sighted in and ready to go for the season (which is already under way) at 60#, then don't mess with it. You want to make sure you have confidence going into the season.

If you are sighted in and ready to go for the season (which is already under way) at 60#, then don't mess with it. You want to make sure you have confidence going into the season.

I don't have an archery tag this year, I've just gone out and called for friends. I wanted to give myself plenty of time to get comfortable and confident in the shot. I'm a little surprised with how short of a time period it's taken, probably could have hunted this year, but oh well. Rifle season is just around the corner.

I wanted to increase the draw weight mainly as a training tool. I've read a lot about how bows may not shoot the best at max, but should tune your poundage to what shoots the best groups. If I crank it all the way up, then backing down shouldn't be an issue, but going up may be. Kind of like shooting at 60/70/80 yards, with your personal hunting limit is 40 yards.

What is the spine of your arrows? If they are for 60# then you may have to buy new ones. Just a thought.

Dan

Easy way to tell if you're going to need to retune is:
1) Check initial tune by shooting through paper
2) Crank up the draw weight
3) Shoot through paper again to see if your paper tear has changed

If it has changed, you'll need to retune. You'll also need to go with a stiffer spine arrow.

Changing draw weight is actually a way to tune for certain left/right tears. You'll need to retune if you change draw weight (it could potentially affect cam lean and timing as well). At least check with broadheads before hunting.

I'd leave it alone if it were me.

I Upped the power on my Martin bow by using an allen wrench and tightening at the point where the arm meets the main frame.A few turns is all it took and I can see a vast difference in arrow speed.Only needed to re-adjust my sights.As mentioned check your arrows on paper.You may need a stiffer spline.:cool:

Thanks all for the help. When I bought my set up, I originally planned to crank the draw weight up, so purchased arrows spined for such. They are Easton FMJ 5mm 340 spines. But when I do decide to crank up the draw weight I'll have the tune checked and any necessary adjustments made.

If I keep going down this archery rabbit hole, I can see where I'll end up investing in a bowpress... I can see where it's along the same lines as getting into reloading. Then I can really go deep looking at different arrows, fletchings, etc. etc.

New hobbies are expensive.

If I keep going down this archery rabbit hole, I can see where I'll end up investing in a bowpress...

You can do a lot with a ratchet tie-down strap. I use one to change strings, tie in new peep, put in/out twists to align peep, etc... :cool:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back