Caribou Gear

Browning X bolt

Prior to the hunt, I switched to Nosler match grade and had a much better experience at the range. I also took some advice in spacing out my shots and allowing the barrel to cool. All groups were much tighter, but 300 is still not what it was with the Rem 700. I shot consistent 3" (sometimes less) groups at 300, but would have a random flyer or two - I still haven't figured it out, I expect it's the shooter. I brought the target in to 250 yds, just to make sure I had the holdover correct on my scope and decided 250 yds would be my max shot in Wyoming - ended up taking a pronghorn buck at 150 yds.

I spotted and approached numerous bucks to 400 yds, most of the time without even bumping them off their bed. A man that can confidently shoot at 400 yds has a very superior advantage in pronghorn country.

Thanks for the advice, it really seemed to help. I slowed down my shots and allowed the barrel to cool. I also changed ammo to Nosler match grade. My groups got much better.

My next trip to the range, I posted up on the ground and shot off my tripod - the way I expected to shoot in Wyoming. It worked out pretty well.

“In my X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed I was getting fairly large groups until I let the barrel cool”

My A-Bolt is all over after it heats up as well. To make range day more efficient, I designed and 3D printed a nozzle and adapters for converting a computer fan and a battery pack into a barrel cooling fan. Cost me about $9.
202CFBC7-940B-411E-B3A5-6BD7ED05044A.jpg
27BF6034-23EE-4E6D-B43C-4980234EF6D1.jpg
B21BB397-743B-42AC-8501-64552853D0DB.jpg

I purchased an X Bolt Long Range in .300 Win Mag a month ago. I cannot get it to shoot better than 2" at 100 yards. I have : tried 8 different brands of ammo in 150 and 180 gr. bullets, changed from a 3-9 X Trijicon to a 4-14 Leupold, had a gun shop owner shoot the rifle all the same ammo I had tried, shot from sand bags and lead sled, shot fouled barrel and clean barrel, allowed the barrel to cool completely, brought two other rifles to the range and shot them (A Bolt .270 is under 1", Rem 700 .300 Win Mag is under 1"). Yes I know I can take either of my other rifles (which have both taken elk). I bought the X Bolt because I "needed" a new rifle... Anyway, Browning says they will take the rifle back and run it through their Custom shop. Doubt it will be back by the time I leave for Wyoming on 10/25. However, very happy that Browning is trying !!

F250, I have a buddy down in TX with the same gun / same caliber and he reported similar results. The Nosler match grade really improved my groups, but I still have a few flyers and the groups are not what my Rem 700 PSS shot. Makes you wonder about the manufacturing process on the X-bolt... This was my first Browning rifle - I'm a big fan of the Browning A5 shotguns and I wanted a lightweight rifle so I gave it a try. I have a .35 Marlin that can shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds.

I'm still overall upset with the X-bolt. Enjoy Wyoming!

I shoot 1/4 MOA regulaely with mine in 300wm that i handlaod. You could check out Choice ammo if you dont reload. They will develop a laod for you.

Just a quick update. I received the rifle back from Browning mid winter. Two weeks ago I had time to go the range. The rifle is shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yards with Federal Nosler Partition 180 gr. I'm in business !!!

No, but I wouldn't ditch a rifle that was under MOA at 200 yards for one that isn't. Don't care what different cartridge it was. mtmuley

Interesting. In Ted Truebloods book, The Accurate Rifle, he did mention something about accuracy in the hunting rifle. While he went after 1/4" or better group' in his match rifle's 1 1/2' was fine in his hunting rifle's. His explanation was each rifle had a different purpose and for hunting 1 1/2" was more than good enough. These day's I think most reloader's are looking for the hunting rifle they could shoot in bench competition and use for hunting at the same time. probably could do it too. A good bench rifle you didn't mind carrying around would probably kill what ever you shot very dead. A good hunting rifle won't win many bench competitions though. What Ted was looking for was the power from his hunting cartridge it had to give even if the group's weren't bench rest quality. I think Ted was right! It make absolutely no sense to me to buy a 300 mag and load it down to 30-06 just for accuracy sake. For myself I look for 1" from my hunting rifle's then when I find it I go for more! I'd be better off doing field practice with my 1" or even 1 1/2" loads!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back