PEAX Equipment

Warmer Sleeping Bag

Jape

Just came back from an elk hunt in Wyoming where low temp. was around 30. Used a new Kelty Cosmic 20 and was a bit disappointed since it just didn't keep me warm enough (even with extra layers on). Any recommendations on a different bag? Looking at some western mountaineering, but love to get some other thoughts.

(1) What were you sleeping on? The ground is cold and a proper pad makes a difference in the sleeping bags warmth. Sleeping bags get their warmth by loft and when a body is compressed into the bottom layer of the bag, there is heat loss or an avenue for the cold to get in.
(2) do you run hot, cold or normal?
(3) I usually add 10 degrees to the bag (so if the bag is a 20 degree bag, I consider it 30 for comfort)
(4) In colder weather, I sleep with a beanie and a base layer.
(5) How light or pack-able must the bag be? Are you backpacking in and weight or space is an issue?

Check out the REI branded bags. I have the Magma. It's a down filled bag. I chose the -30 degree model. It's about 4 pounds. Too warm and too heavy for most conditions, but when the temps drop, it's my go to bag for sure. They have discontinued that model but I believe are still making the 20 degree magma.

The nice thing with REI is you have a 1 year warranty on everything they sell. So pick it up, try it out, and if not satisfied, return for a full refund. That's what I did with a goal zero solar panel setup. They took it back with no issues at all after 6 months of use and me finally deciding a battery pack was better then a solar charger

Check out the REI branded bags. I have the Magma. It's a down filled bag. I chose the -30 degree model. It's about 4 pounds. Too warm and too heavy for most conditions, but when the temps drop, it's my go to bag for sure. They have discontinued that model but I believe are still making the 20 degree magma.

The nice thing with REI is you have a 1 year warranty on everything they sell. So pick it up, try it out, and if not satisfied, return for a full refund. That's what I did with a goal zero solar panel setup. They took it back with no issues at all after 6 months of use and me finally deciding a battery pack was better then a solar charger

Or the igneo. They say the rei down bags are true to temp rating and that has definitely been the case with me.

Also make sure you have a sleeping pad with r value above 4 or so. Such as the reasonably priced static v insulated.

If I expect 20* temps, I take a 0* bag. If I expect 0* I take a -20*. Go 20* colder than you expect it to be.

Nemo argali (15 deg bag) with a Nemo pad worked awesome on its first run last weekend in 30 deg temps

I think this is another key point that you would want to test your sleeping bag on a shorter trip before you take it on a week long hunting trip and end up miserable.

Of course that's hard to do if you don't buy your stuff until the summer before hand as opposed to the winter before hand and train through winter and spring which replicates the condition you will be hunting in.

If he's not sleeping at 30 degrees in a 2.5-3lb down bag then the answer is not in the temperature rating but rather he sleeps really cold, doesn't have an appropriate sleeping pad, has way too big a bag and isn't using it right, or...needs to get a better bag.

The REI igneo on the market now is rated 17 degrees and starts at less than 2 pounds and 300 dollars.

That's 17 degrees with no layers. If you expect thirtees this will take you into the 20s or teens if you sleep as.warm as me a d start adding light layers. If you have heavy layers you can put the on for colder emergencies and shouldn't have to worry about them finding you as an icicle.

I think this is another key point that you would want to test your sleeping bag on a shorter trip before you take it on a week long hunting trip and end up miserable.

Of course that's hard to do if you don't buy your stuff until the summer before hand as opposed to the winter before hand and train through winter and spring which replicates the condition you will be hunting in.

If he's not sleeping at 30 degrees in a 2.5-3lb down bag then the answer is not in the temperature rating but rather he sleeps really cold, doesn't have an appropriate sleeping pad, has way too big a bag and isn't using it right, or...needs to get a better bag.

The REI igneo on the market now is rated 17 degrees and starts at less than 2 pounds and 300 dollars.

That's 17 degrees with no layers. If you expect thirtees this will take you into the 20s or teens if you sleep as.warm as me a d start adding light layers. If you have heavy layers you can put the on for colder emergencies and shouldn't have to worry about them finding you as an icicle.

I was thinking the same thing, so I took it on this one-day hunt to see how it performed before my 10-day hunt in two weeks. I like the suggestions and am in the process of getting a different bag based on the recommendations. Thanks!

If I expect 20* temps, I take a 0* bag. If I expect 0* I take a -20*. Go 20* colder than you expect it to be.

Totally agree^

I run a 20 degree bag but manage to use it down to 15 or lower by wearing my down jacket + other layers and because my pad is thick and very well insulated. In a pinch you could put on all your layers + down + rain gear and with a decent pad be ok in a 30 degree bag down to 0.

Western mountaineering makes great bags, as do marmot. I would consider synthetic bags if you are car camping or going somewhere wet, and down bags if you are backpack hunting. A synthetic bag will be 1/2 the price or less than a down bag but will weigh twice as much and take up as much as 4 times the space in your pack.

I came across a similar issue to this a couple years ago and I got many suggestions. I purchased a bag liner and I tried lining my 35* badlands sleeping bag with a space blanket. Temps got down to 0* where I was hunting and I found that Powerade came to the rescue. Warming 32 ounces of water on a fire or over my burner and keeping it in a Powerade bottle would keep me comfortable and warm all night long. Upon waking up the Powerade bottle would still be warm. Just make sure that you seal that cap tight. I sleep using a Klymit air pad to keep me off the ground. Rather than buying a new sleeping bag and having different temperature appropriate bags I just keep a space blanket in my pack and line my sleeping bag if it gets cold. If it gets even colder and I know it is going to get that chili then I will just warm that water before bed. I consider myself to be a budget hunter and this seems to get me by. Its a bit of work every night but so is meal prepping and setting up camp. Another nice thing is when you wake up in the morning you can sprinkle an apple cider packet into the powerade bottle and have some luke warm cider as you get out before first lite.

Good advice here. I go for 15-20 degrees colder than the bag rating. These bag ratings are typically the "survival" rating, not the "comfort" rating.

Having a good ground pad is essential too. You'll lose a lot more heat through conduction than convection.

If you got the cheese for Western Mountaineering, I'm jealous. They make excellent bags. Marmot makes some darn nice 850+ fill bags for much less. Surely others do too.

You can also try layering. I'll bring a light bag and wear a down puffy for added warmth. That's a lot cheaper than a new WM bag...

I came across a similar issue to this a couple years ago and I got many suggestions. I purchased a bag liner and I tried lining my 35* badlands sleeping bag with a space blanket. Temps got down to 0* where I was hunting and I found that Powerade came to the rescue. Warming 32 ounces of water on a fire or over my burner and keeping it in a Powerade bottle would keep me comfortable and warm all night long. Upon waking up the Powerade bottle would still be warm. Just make sure that you seal that cap tight.

That water bottle trick is a hot tip.

Speaking of the devil, my new WM antelope mf arrived today. Got the extra 3oz fill. Very light and seems to be exceptionally well made, not disappointed. A whole 2lb lighter than my synthetic 0* bag and packs down to a third of the size.

Good advice here. I go for 15-20 degrees colder than the bag rating. These bag ratings are typically the "survival" rating, not the "comfort" rating.

Having a good ground pad is essential too. You'll lose a lot more heat through conduction than convection.

If you got the cheese for Western Mountaineering, I'm jealous. They make excellent bags. Marmot makes some darn nice 850+ fill bags for much less. Surely others do too.

You can also try layering. I'll bring a light bag and wear a down puffy for added warmth. That's a lot cheaper than a new WM bag...

I think the bag ratings I am used to are comfort ratings for the average male or, according to this, most people.
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sleeping-bag.html

I guess average is what everyone isn't so it might be survival rating for some. Plus some bags are probably garbage or inflate their rating. Thankfully for me, I tend to sleep even warmer than the rating on my bag. Then again I pay for my warmbloodedness when I sweat through my clothes up a hill when it is 50 out.

Last edited:
I think the bag ratings I am used to are comfort ratings for the average male or, according to this, most people.
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sleeping-bag.html

I guess average is what everyone isn't so it might be survival rating for some. Plus some bags are probably garbage or inflate their rating. Thankfully for me, I tend to sleep even warmer than the rating on my bag. Then again I pay for my warmbloodedness when I sweat through my clothes up a hill when it is 50 out.

But besides the technicality, I agree that the problem mentioned shouldn't require an extreme.solutiion to solve just a good ground pad and a reasonable quality bag that is based on how the specific individual sleeps.

I went the rounds on this and ended up with the Enlightened Equipment Convert. Highly recommended.

I ordered mine from the Custom Shop because I had the time to wait but they have some in-stock as well.

Last edited:
Love my Big Agnes Blackburn 0*. Was plenty warm enough when it got down to 12* a few nights last October at 9000 ft. Used it with the Klymit Static V Insulated Lite. The bag has a sleeve on the back that you slide your pad into and keeps you from rolling off. I'm 6' 3" and 260lbs, and that is the most comfortable bag I've ever slept in. Has a lot more room than a traditional mummy style bag, which allowed me to sleep more comfortably and get a better night of rest. Used to use a Kelty Lightyea and this bag is way nicer.

Speaking of the devil, my new WM antelope mf arrived today. Got the extra 3oz fill. Very light and seems to be exceptionally well made, not disappointed. A whole 2lb lighter than my synthetic 0* bag and packs down to a third of the size.

I just picked up a WM Versalite two months ago. Unfortunately, it was right before I blew up my knee. Hope to put it to use when my knee issue is resolved. Amazing loft and weight. I need to get it in the field and tested.

Western mountaineering bags are top notch. I have a Marmot -40 that's around 5lbs for late season camping, and then a Mountain Hardware 5 degree (3.5lbs) for just about everything else. (Also a 20 degree REI bag that's great for the summer, but almost never comes backpack hunting). I'll lug around a half pound so I can actually sleep at night instead of napping between shivers. I'm a big guy, so more layers inside the bag aren't really an option for me (and besides, they're my pillow...).

I just picked up a WM Versalite two months ago. Unfortunately, it was right before I blew up my knee. Hope to put it to use when my knee issue is resolved. Amazing loft and weight. I need to get it in the field and tested.
The Versalite has a lot of appeal to me as a fall/spring bag. I would appreciate your thoughts, particularly leaning on its temp rating. It's about 5-6 oz. heavier than my Valandre, but I think could be a noticeably cozier Oct/Nov. backpacking option.

Will do. Scoping tomorrow, so hopefully ready to test in cooler temps soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back