2018 WY elk #1

BuzzH

Season opened today for one of my 2 cow permits, so decided to take a look.

Woke up about 4 AM left the house at 4:30 found a nice 6x6 bull about a 1.5 miles away at 7 a.m., figured it wouldn't be alone. Drove over near where I'd last seen him, he's jacking around in the sagebrush bugling, carrying on. Probably a 320 bull, nice mature 6 point.

Glassed up a dozen or so cows about a mile out, new I could get closer via a different road if I shot one.

Put a good stalk on them, turned out being about 50-60 or so. Sorted through them and finally selected a cow that was standing right next to a spike bull and looked to be just a bit smaller...exactly what I was looking for, a 1.5 year old cow.

Chambered a round and new they were under 300 yards, settled the leupold dot behind the shoulder and sent a 140 Accubond on its way from the 7-08. Solid thump, elk went 20 yards and the deal was done. Dug the range finder out...273 yards, nearly right at my 250 yard zero. Almost too easy. Watched another nice 6 point maybe a bit bigger than the first bull trail the herd as they slowly moved up hill along with 40-50 cows and a dozen spikes. They stayed on top, about 500 yards away as I broke down the cow for packing. The bull was still bugling as a started back to the truck.

Got to the truck with half right at 9:56, put that half in the cooler, then drove closer to fetch the other half, back to the truck by 10:45.

Back in plenty of time to watch the Wyoming Cowboys lose to Washington...

IMG951077_3.jpg

LOL....you make it seem so easy...I still think you need to take me elk hunting.... :p

Congrats! I’m heading to Wy in the morning with archery gear to look around for a couple days.

Congrats on elk #1. You do sometimes confuse me a bit; do you make elk easy or do I make elk difficult? Either way, I always enjoy your photos and reports.

Your annual cow elk report is like the first smell of fall. The season is upon us. Congratulations on a great morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back