Mystery Ranch Metcalf

uster19

I have a Eberlstock pack and have been hiking lately with 50lbs in it. My son is heading out west with me this year on an elk hunt so I needed another pack. Scheels had some Mystery Ranch packs on sale last weekend so since I was looking for another pack I decided to splurge for the Metcalf. Hard to argue when it was 25% off. I gotta say I wasn't sure dropping $500 on a pack could be justified but after tonight's hike with 50lbs in the Metcalf I am convinced I made the right choice. The Metcalf is so comfortable and carrying the same weight as I did with the Eberlstock felt like I had half the weight in it. I still have to figure out all of the features and how to use the pack properly but I am liking it.

For those of you that have a MR, is the rain fly neccessary or is the pack pretty waterproof?

I really wished they sold the Metcalf pack without the frame -- I have one, but my soon to be son-in-law got a great deal on a Mule set, which is fine for this year's day pack (we are staying in town), but would be nice to add the metcalf bag for his rig in future years where we will likely pack in.

I really wished they sold the Metcalf pack without the frame -- I have one, but my soon to be son-in-law got a great deal on a Mule set, which is fine for this year's day pack (we are staying in town), but would be nice to add the metcalf bag for his rig in future years where we will likely pack in.

Agreed i just want extra bags to swap for hunt situations, a metcalf bag would be perfect to go wih my pintler.

I bought a Metcalf last season and I would recommend getting the rainfly, I hunted one day with wet snow and by the end of the day my stuff was pretty damp...I'm sure if you were in a heavy rain your stuff would get pretty wet...I'm planning on picking one up soon, or possibly cutting the one off my old pack and using it (it is sewn into a pocket on the bottom of the pack)

Back