Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jlmatthew View Post
    Then don't vote for the same politicians these so-called eco groups are in bed with. I was pretty confident I knew how this case was going to go as soon as I saw who appointed the judge.
    This is definitely a struggle, as I think everyone has expressed you can't ever find a politician you can agree with on every issue, including who they pick for judges.
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Come on Buzz, it’s 11 AM mountain time. Too late to still need coffee, too early to be shitfaced for Labor Day. Try to keep up. We are talking about ranchers not the USDA.

To further clarify in the most black and white terms possible for those apparently needed it, I am saying that before wolves were managed reasonably people were extremely frustrated and right or wrong- they were illegally killing wolves.

It will come as no surprise to me when ranchers, rural homeowners, etc shoot a grizzly bear in the head and leave it to rot. Illegal, disgusting, poaching, etc but not surprising.

I too think there will eventually be a hunt whether this year, next or in 5 years.
    Last edited by MTGomer; 08-31-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    ďTo me, if you donít eat it, then itís not a point of prideĒ. -Matt Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    Remember when we "wouldn't ever have a wolf season", "wouldn't ever have a bison hunt"???

I do, and guess what, we have both...and guess what, we'll have a grizzly season too.

As per Ben Lambs post, we are a nation of laws and we do battle in court...just the way it is.

Nothing to lose your chit over, just let the process play out.
    Exactly right. This will eventually sort out and I have no doubt at all there will be a season. Maybe not this year, maybe not quite the way that they have set it up for the first time, but it will happen. Just like wolves, alligators, and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by MTGomer View Post
    Come on Buzz, itís 11 AM mountain time. Too late to still need coffee, too early to be shitfaced for Labor Day. Try to keep up. We are talking about ranchers not the USDA.
    ...and you would appear to be too old to believe in fairy tales.

I know the ranching community real well, have worked with them my entire life...they don't under utilize the USDA for taking care of their predator problems.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by F250 View Post
    Politics over science - again.
    I suppose that all of the folks agitating for a grizzly hunt based "on the science" are also agitating for a comprehensive and effective climate change policy based "on the science."

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    I suppose that all of the folks agitating for a grizzly hunt based "on the science" are also agitating for a comprehensive and effective climate change policy based "on the science."
    What would you prefer? Climate change policy based on innuendo and partisan politics? If so, count yourself lucky, 'cuz that's what you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Actually, after the decision yesterday - that is one of the issues that irritates me. Both sides like to have it both ways - which is why you have to fall back to the laws and work within the system.

As a scientist, having decisions made by folks interpreting data with a limited knowledge set is very frustrating.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HSi-ESi View Post
    Actually, after the decision yesterday - that is one of the issues that irritates me. Both sides like to have it both ways - which is why you have to fall back to the laws and work within the system.

As a scientist, having decisions made by folks interpreting data with a limited knowledge set is very frustrating.
    I've been an environmental scientist involved in remedial cleanup of hazardous waste sites for going on 15 years. Trust me, I have one guy saying that he'd drink a cup of the discharge from his plant (spoiler alert: he wouldn't) to people freaking out because there are high concentrations of dissolved metals in groundwater near their neighborhood (spoiler alert: they're on city water anyway) demanding that we spend millions trying to cleanup naturally occurring metals.

Personally, I think climate change is a much much much much larger threat to our ecosystems and hunting opportunities than not being able to hunt a handful of grizzlies every year, so I welcome all the staunch defenders of science-based policy to the fold.

In other news, young man who grew up on ranches working in western Montana tells about his first hand accounts of what ranchers illegally did to wolves is just a fairytale. Got it.

Iím going deer hunting.

Enjoy arguing where thereís nothing to argue about.
    Enjoy your raise too......

In other news, young man who grew up on ranches working in western Montana tells about his first hand accounts of what ranchers illegally did to wolves is just a fairytale. Got it.

I’m going deer hunting.

Enjoy arguing where there’s nothing to argue about.
    Enjoy your raise too......
    Shoot, shovel, shut up is a fairy tale?

Quote Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    Mostly. It really goes like… bait, poison, brag to the neighbors, wonder why the whole world knows.

Mostly. It really goes like… bait, poison, brag to the neighbors, wonder why the whole world knows.
    I would have bet that it mostly goes, hint, hint, drink, blab, drink, blab, drink some more. Never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    It's that third S that's always tripping folks up.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

In the interim, I would like to see all those who challenged the hunt to pay into a fund which the ranchers can draw from for livestock losses.

Quote Originally Posted by haiku_rodney View Post
    In the interim, I would like to see all those who challenged the hunt to pay into a fund which the ranchers can draw from for livestock losses.
    Don't they got a go fund me account going?
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

16. Default

just the other night saw a blurb of a story with the photographer that drew and all they talked about that one sow it takes pics and some how 22 bears is a slaughter and never mentioned if sow shot gets shut down

Dems are the party of anti gun and anti hunting. What else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by 3855WIN View Post
    Dems are the party of anti gun and anti hunting. What else is new?
    Had a moment of weakness. I know better...

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    ...and you would appear to be too old to believe in fairy tales.

I know the ranching community real well, have worked with them my entire life...they don't under utilize the USDA for taking care of their predator problems.

After a weekend of getting rained on, this comment is as funny now as it was Friday.

The things I witnessed first hand didn’t really happen.

I just needed hours staring at the inside of a tent to reflect upon it to understand.

The things you can learn about your own past experiences from a .gov employee in another state.

Irony abounds

20. Default

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe what that article doesn't mention is that this is only a 14 day 'stay' on the opening of the hunt. My money is that the hunt will happen in WY this year. The science is sound and the state of WY has done their job correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskajim View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe what that article doesn't mention is that this is only a 14 day 'stay' on the opening of the hunt. My money is that the hunt will happen in WY this year. The science is sound and the state of WY has done their job correctly.
    Very possible. What I heard is the judge gave the litigants an extra 14 days to get their stuff together. Nice of the judge to do that. Sounds like there may be a hunt after all.
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

23. Default

Based on the judge's comments already you can see where this is headed. There will be no grizzly hunting anytime soon.

I agree with Honeybadger. The comment "irreparable injury to the plaintiffs" by the judge certainly seems to lean toward the plaintiffs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12