Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Canning

Addicting

With the gardening season winding down and hunting season picking up it’s nice to look at the cabinets and see lots of jars of home grown canned food. This year we made salsa, 3 large batches of whole tomatoes, a couple quarts of seed free tomato sauce, 7 pints of pizza sauce and still have corn and wild berry seed free jelly to do this weekend.

This hunting season plan to do some more venison and do some experiments with elk.

Anyone else canning?

I've canned around 40 jelly jars of candied jalapenos so far. I need to can a couple dozen pints of deer meat too. Needs to cool off here before i do that though.

Candied Jalapeños sounds like a tasty trick on on a fat guy with heartburn. Lol

How do you make them and what do you use them on?

We make a lot of chokecherry, buffalo berry, and sand plum jelly and syrup. We can some deer meat but not a whole bunch

I'd like to start canning some of my venison. We can a lot of tomatoes/ salsa. We used to do it every year but now we do it every other in larger amounts. We usually do about 130 qaurts each time, my dad usually goes a little overboard with the qaunity! It's quite the operation we get going.

I have several jars of sauerkraut, green beans and bags of sweet corn that I blanched, cut off the ear, vacuum packed and froze. We have had so much rain in my neck of the woods that my tomatoes are going to waste and overcome with weeds. It's like a swamp in my garden right now. I still have some watermelon and spaghetti squash to harvest, but it is pretty much done. Contemplating a winter garden, but it needs to dry a little so I can get it out. The flower beds look great though!

we only did salsa this year, busy summer. We ended up with 30 some pints, and it's already going quick

I do a bunch of chokecherry and other jelly, bean, applesauce, etc each year. I also give my All American a workout pressure canning venison and bone stock.

No canning but I am freezing and dehydrating.

Cut 50 ears of corn yesterday, have another 100 or so to go. Been dehydrating cale to use this winter.

Hoping the weather holds out a couple more weeks to let a few things finish up.

Candied Jalapeños sounds like a tasty trick on on a fat guy with heartburn. Lol

How do you make them and what do you use them on?

They are easy to make and are great party snacks on cracker with cream cheese, on a lox bagel or smoked salmon. They really spice up a grilled cheese sandwich and I like them on pork al pastor tacos. I can eat them right out of the jar too.

To make, slice up 3lbs of jalapenos. Leave the seeds in for more heat, remove for less. I core and seed about half to get the amount of heat I like. In a pot bring the following to a boil:
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp Tumeric
1/2 tsp Celery seed
3 gloves garlic

Once it boils, drop the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in the pepper slices and simmer another 4 minutes. This recipe fills about 12-15 of the small jelly jars. Fill your jars with the pepper slices and bring the liquid back to a boil and boil hard for 6 mins. Top all the jars off with liquid and put on lids
Transfer to a water bath canner and cover jars completely with water by 2" and bring to a boil on high heat. Boil for 10-12 minutes and remove. Let cool and let sit for at least 2 weeks, longer is better.

We put up several quarts of apricot jam, about 60 quarts of pickles, and we are now getting started on peaches. Been putting up some tomatoes, but that will pick up in the next few weeks. We will also do some grape juice. If I put down more than one elk this year then we will can some of that. Will probably can my mule deer too. I love the look of full shelves of food we have grown or harvested ourselves.

Finished my Ro-Tel on Sun.It came out kinda sweet...Then it bites you on the Azz.Good and Hot!:cool:

My wife makes a 14 day sweet pickle recipe, we got the first batch of those canned up a week or two ago now. Canned deer meat is fabulous.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back