Blue Grouse open - who's going?

Huntin' Fool

Opening day - headed out

A previous year pic

Attachments

• DSC01185.jpg
    DSC01185.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 435
Won't be long before I am on the high ridge grouse woods with shotgun in hand, pissing off the bowhunters.

Attachments

• Grousewoods.jpg
    Grousewoods.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 418
I've got a spot like that north and west of yours, Bret, but there's some big bears running in there that I'm more worried about than the bowhunters. :)

We have to wait until Saturday here in Colorado. I’m really looking forward to getting out with dog. How was the Idaho opener?

Had a blast on opener. We walked some Aspen's looking for ruffed grouse before heading up higher for blues. Moved a couple, but didn't connect. I managed to bang up my knee & put some gouges in the Griefelt while Greta cut her toe. We're both healing up today before trying again tomorrow.

As per usual, I always seem to find elk when looking for birds.

IMG_20180901_072259.jpg

Sid and I found a couple. He was pretty jacked up but settled down and dialed in.I shot behind a couple ,of course, but upped my game after some WTF's from the dog.

Attachments

• IMG_20180901_190122.jpg
    IMG_20180901_190122.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 298
Nice, Hem!

Took a 4 hour drive yesterday only to have a lot of competition from archery hunters who got there before we did. Saw some moose & took a new trail I've never been on before, so we had that going for us.

Ruffed grouse cooperated although I needed a choke that shot a pattern like a sofa at 20 feet to hit them in the jungle I was in! Never did find the Blues but there was little to no water. Dogs had fun although the puppy was chasing grasshoppers most of the time when we were not in the birds.

Saturday, sharptail.
bird_a.jpg

Two of us
bird_f.jpg

Sunday was mountain grouse, two of us .
bird_m.jpg

Home by 9:30 in the morning , I had to get to work...

IMG_0727.jpgWent up this morning, got a limit. First time ever and really had to work for these birds. 5 miles one way on the edge of the treeline above 9000'. Awesome morning and made the dog earn her keep.

Picked up two yesterday hunting the heat of the day.Same deal..alot of ground covered and birds showing up where I DIDN'T expect.
Fortunately came across some water for the dog to cool down in.

My wife and her pal at 8400' this morning. A fairly dependable blue hotspot - saw just one bird. But a great morning to be out. 33f, humid north wind, the mountain completely fogged in. Been a sparse blue grouse season for us - time to quit gaining elevation every weekend and switch over to roosters and huns............
DSCN0261.jpg

My daughter and her boyfriend held down the fort and watched our son this weekend while my better half came out to meet me in Vegas after a work event. I like the boyfriends babysitting style...and my nephews b&w photo skills:

7C910B3B-A355-40C2-91E2-092F8C342210.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back