Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hello from St. Joseph, MO

archp625

I've been a long time lurker. I've always wanted to voice my opinion on different topics and decided today was the day that I would sign up and be a Hunt Talk member.

A little about myself, I live in St. Joseph, MO. I started bow hunting when I was 11 and rifle hunting shortly after for whitetail and turkey. I still manage to pig hunt in Texas every year with my bow. I also love shooting sporting clays. Archery was a huge passion of mine until I hit college in 2003. That's when the waterfowl bug hit me. It's pretty much taken over my life ever since. About 4 years ago I decided it was time to do something about my itch to hunt out west. I started acquiring points for Wyoming. Just recently started in Montana, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Colorado. I've tried drawing in NM with no luck. Next year, my goal is to hunt either antelope or elk.

Hopefully I can be an asset to this forum with my gun and hunting knowledge. If not, I still enjoy gaining knowledge from all of you out there.

Thanks,

Drew

Ill be down there this weekend. Probably unfortunately for you. The lake gets crazy on holidays. After this weekend it should go back to normal for the locals.

Welcome. Grew up a flatlander in north central MO before moving to the West.

You should be able to draw a nice WY pronghorn hunt with 3 or so points. Look for high harvest rate, lots of public land (though make sure holds pronghorn) and you should be good for harvesting a nice buck.

NM is a tough pronghorn draw if apply as non-resident without an outfitter contract. Used to be easier but NM chopped the DIY pool to be about a third a few years ago. The Good Ol' Days. Elk are a tough draw in NM and NM deer are not much to write home about. I think two non-residents get sheep tags in the DIY draw. Could be worse as in CA where "up to 1 tag" tag for NR applicants.

You could build points in KS since never know what changes might happen in the future where points have value there. For now, not much value.

What are you trying to hunt in PA?

LopeHunter,

I've only put in for Elk in NM. One of these days. I have 4 points for antelope in WY. Next year they need to get used. PA has a decent elk herd that you can bu points for. They are $10.50. For that price I might as well start building for down the road.

Elkhunter24, I will take you up on that offer. One of these days. Do you know how many tags they give out every year. To NR and or R?

Welcome, from St.Joseph... Minnesota that is. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to accomplish. I fall into Randy's line of thought on the points, get them and use them as soon as a hunt you are happy with can be drawn. Good luck this fall with the waterfowl!!

Welcome! I spent a couple weeks I. ST. Joseph last December for work training.

I've been a long time lurker. I've always wanted to voice my opinion on different topics and decided today was the day that I would sign up and be a Hunt Talk member.

A little about myself, I live in St. Joseph, MO. I started bow hunting when I was 11 and rifle hunting shortly after for whitetail and turkey. I still manage to pig hunt in Texas every year with my bow. I also love shooting sporting clays. Archery was a huge passion of mine until I hit college in 2003. That's when the waterfowl bug hit me. It's pretty much taken over my life ever since. About 4 years ago I decided it was time to do something about my itch to hunt out west. I started acquiring points for Wyoming. Just recently started in Montana, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Colorado. I've tried drawing in NM with no luck. Next year, my goal is to hunt either antelope or elk.

Hopefully I can be an asset to this forum with my gun and hunting knowledge. If not, I still enjoy gaining knowledge from all of you out there.

Thanks,

Drew
Drew,

I have been bit by the waterfowl bug, myself! The past few years I have been on public land hunts across the Central Flyway to find new places and test ourselves.

This year we have a trip planned to St. Joseph. It looks like there are a lot of great birds and public spots, but I’m assuming lots of public and guided pressure.

The plan is to stay away from poor line drawings and try conservation areas on the river by the squaw creek refuge.

Would be great to get any local tips and tricks!

Thanks,
Michael

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back