Backcountry phone charger

clark33

Planning on doing a solo back country trip and will be using my iphone with onx off grid mode, it will also be my camera. What do you guys use for a charger, should I need one? I don't plan on having the app open all the time but would like to keep the phone juiced up. Thanks

I am headed out this fall with the same plan. (I'll have a back-up GPS) My brother hand an ANKER that is he is going to let me borrow. Yet to prove it myself, but from what I have read on here they seem to work well.

+1 on the balance of weight & # of recharges.. Though I'd rather have a couple extra ounces if it meant more time in the back country. (This thought will be proven at the end of October...)

I use a Dark Energy Posiedon. There's a bit of a weight penalty, but I can recharge my phone 3x and my InReach 2x. Plus, it's built like a tank and completely waterproof. I've had mine for a year and haven't had a problem with it including spilling about 1/2 a nalgene bottle of water on it.. I didn't have great luck with an Anker. I took it on a trip and got rained on and it turned into a boat anchor. It was my fault, should have had it stowed in a better spot in my pack or in a dry bag, but it wasn't "that" wet... YMMV.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016DUBTWS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the DE Posieden is no longer available on Amazon.

I have a similar interest but for hunting from the truck. I'm looking for something that will charge my cell phone and jump the truck if need be. Thus, it can be a bit heavier.

You may want to look into a small solar panel to provide additional charge capabilities past 3-4 charges.

You may want to look into a small solar panel to provide additional charge capabilities past 3-4 charges.

I looked at panels and passed two years ago. May not be sunny and I am not in camp during the day so would need a battery to gather the charge then connect to phone when back in camp. I carry a couple of batteries and Plan B is to pack out to trailhead and run my SUV an hour or so to charge up the phone and batteries again.

I have a small solar panel that I have used in the past. If you have a cloudy day, it doesn't create enough energy to charge your phone, it will actually discharge it, the phone battery also doesn't hold a charge as long. I bought an Anker 20,000mah portable charger last week, and have charged my phone from less than 10% to 100% 3 times and still have 50% charge on the portable charger. I don't expect to need to use all of my phone battery everyday, but it's nice to have the ability.

Another vote for Anker here. Bunch of options depending on what you need. They're affordable, seem durable and they charge FAST.

I'm using my phone & OnX exclusively this season for 9 days in, so I bought a dark energy posioden. According to them, I should be able to throw this brick through a plate glass window into the deep end of a pool with no adverse effect. It is heavy.

Not much help for this year's shopping, sorry.

Back