Yeti GOBOX Collection

MT Unit 314-00 Grizz??

dragginwood

Hey Guys,

Headed to the unit 314-00 (Unit 314, North of Big Creek) for an OTC Elk B. Curious if anyone has any insight into the likelihood of crossing paths with Grizzly? Based off what I've read the population is healthy, but I would anticipate them to be further south. Is that a bad assumption?

It's only a bad assumption when the bear doesn't know you assume he's further south. Yes it's a bad assumption. Grizzlies can and will be everywhere in SW MT. Based on historical conflict areas, there haven't been as many incidents as further south but you still need to be bear aware.

There are more grizz as you go south toward Tom Miner, but there is still likelihood in Big Creek.

See this map. Red is Tom Miner Basin. A Google search of "grizzly attacks Tom Miner Montana" will give you a lot of reading material. Blue is Big Creek. A grizzly could/does get from Tom Miner to Big Creek in about two hours.

Big Creek.jpg

My personal/unprofessional "opinion" is your assumption is closer to "bad" than it is to "good."

Have fun.

One drainage south of big creek is a place where people can plan to see more grizzlies than anywhere in ynp. Very high concentration of bears.

I lived in Montana for 12 years and never dared to get 10 yards from the truck anywhere on that map.

ESP to the north. You know........where the warm water is. The ratio of women in bathing suits compared to those who shouldn’t be wearing bathing suits are like the odds of drawing a sheep tag......just backwards.

"If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill, let them go up into the Northwest and tangle with the Grizzly Bear, the Polar Bear, and the Brown Bear. They will get their kicks, and it will cleanse their souls." - Fred Bear

I used to bowhunt solo all the drainages which comprise Big Creek . Great country but never let down your awareness. Remote place to get in a bind.

Just keep in mind what "high grizzly density" really means. Each bear has a territory of many square miles. Go out there, get a mile or so off the road, and imagine trying to find a 400-pound animal in ten square miles of that. So yes, you have a decent chance of seeing a grizzly, or grizzly sign, but no, they're not hiding behind every bush waiting to pounce on unwary outdoorsmen. Pay attention to the "Bear Smart" recommendations, carry bear spray and know how to use it, be alert and aware, and you'll have a great hunt. There will likely be one or two attacks this year, probably in the Madison Range, and probably people who did something wrong (from the bear's perspective). But drive down any back road in the area on October 20 and see if it keeps anyone from hunting there.

"But drive down any back road in the area on October 20 and see if it keeps anyone from hunting there."

While true, I would rather not run into a grizz period BUT, I would much rather run into a grizz with my 300WSM in my hands than my bow any day.

There are more grizz as you go south toward Tom Miner, but there is still likelihood in Big Creek.

See this map. Red is Tom Miner Basin. A Google search of "grizzly attacks Tom Miner Montana" will give you a lot of reading material. Blue is Big Creek. A grizzly could/does get from Tom Miner to Big Creek in about two hours.

View attachment 86393

My personal/unprofessional "opinion" is your assumption is closer to "bad" than it is to "good."

Have fun.

There was a sow griz with 2 cubs eating a mule deer at the bottom of Dry Creek this morning (on this map right where it says "South Glastonbury"), which is the next drainage north of Big Creek. There are many grizzlies in the area, and that one in particular has been in the area for at least a couple of weeks. This time of year they are all over the place up there.

That photo is a great illustration and summation of the area around YNP that holds an expanding population of G bears as well as an expanding population of humans. The bears tearing apart a carcass of a deer likely hit by a car in a subdivision which is now smack dab in the middle of occupied grizzly habitat. Probably taken from a smart phone while another subdivision dweller in their suv looks on. A slice of SW Montana.
I'm guilty as well. I live on a road whose namesake is a critter that seldom if ever visits the area I live anymore, as it's full of houses, dogs, fences, etc. That road up Glastonbury might someday be named Grizzly Drive - also in honor of the critter which isn't there anymore - if that street name isn't already taken up there.
BTW, if one thinks that hunting up West Pine is "safe", I can sell you a nice home up Paradise Valley for $54,000...............

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back