Leupold rifle scopes

220yotekiller

Hey guys I have a scope questian. I want to like Leupold scopes but every one I have ever owned or have ever seen one of our hunting clients has moved. Has anyone else had this issue? My most recent example is I bought my Dad a VXll 3x9 new in the box. He mounted it on his 270, zeroed it and set it is his safe. About a month later he went hunting and it was off by several inches. We have had several shifted point of impact after we have carried them in saddle scabbards. Are we not tightening them enough or are we harder on them than the average guy? Thanks for the info!

The only kind of scope I've had is Leupold and I've never had them creep. There is a torque value on the screws. Also, blue loc tite on the threads helps a lot.

Newer leupold mounts come with the hardware with loc tite on them

I'm with Boomer. Sounds like a mounting issue to me. Have you had the same issues if you threw a different manufacturer's scope on the rifle with the same rings?

Also could be a matter of whether or not the rifles themselves are stocked in a synthetic or wood stock, are bedded/floated, etc, aside from just the mounting screws.

Newer leupold mounts come with the hardware with loc tite on them

The Loctite makes it harder to turn the screws in so it's possible that one could think the base screws are properly tightened when in fact they may not be.

If you have tried multiple scope, it's you. Not saying there isn't a lemon in production no matter what company you get, that happens. Take it to a gun shop and ask them reset your scope for you. Ask them to show you how to do it properly. Scopes can usually take quite a bit of rough treatment and beating and still be ok.

Yea I should have said that, there isn't any common denominatior as far as rifles go. The stocks are wood and synthetic, all of the rifles are free floated and glass bedded. all of them now wear different brands of scope and we haven't had any issues unless we were the cause, (dropping rifles that kind of thing).
My 220 Swift had a Leupold VXlll for years until it started acting up. I sent it back to the factory and the next week after zeroing it was 6 inches high at 100 yards. All it did was ride in the pickup during that time. Now it wears a Weaver Classic (Which I'm not terribly happy with but that's what l have) but it hasn't moved at all.
We shoot strictly hand loads in our rifles and all are 1 MOA or better, my Swift shoots 1/2 inch at a 100 yards.

Between my wife and we have 15 leupold scopes of different type mounted on everything from a 22 through 375 and have never had an issue. My father in law has several too but he did have one out of the box that wouldn't zero.

I have had and issue with a Leupold scope, it was sent back......problem solved. I've also had and issue with my Leupold range finder, it was sent back.....problem solved!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back