Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Sambar hound hunt

S13tsilvia

This story is a few years old but i have pics so thought i would share with everyone as it sticks in my mind like it was yesterday.

Up at daybreak in the drizzling rain about 2 degrees C, I found this deers marks fresh in the morning while were were all out in the bush looking for fresh marks, after getting the dogs all ready i walked them in and they started cold trailing straight away. This deer led us on a merry chase all around the bush up and down valleys, across roads with the dogs never far behind but we just couldn't get a shooter into his crossing path.
Finally one of the guys at his spot hears the deer coming along crashing through the bush and it appears and he fires off 2 quick shots, unluckily for him he is a poor shot and the deer continues on its merry way down into a river where being smart and crossing it multiple times and doing loops manages to get a fair lead on the dogs.
I was running around trying to work out where i would be if i was a deer and thought i should run into the river and wait and see what comes along, so grabbing my gun i take off into the river about 300 yards away.
As i just get into the river i see movement right in the middle of the river and its the deer heading upstream! he has nearly got past me and i am the last guy up this valley system so if he gets away he is gone.
The river is flowing fairly hard and without really thinking about it i throw the 338 up and punch one into the middle of his shoulder and he makes a giant leap sideways but doesn't make it out of the river before he expires.
He then disappears from view as the river quickly grabs him and takes him away and i am like "ohh sh***t" running as fast as i can along the edge i see him get snagged on a tree and i quickly jump in and get quite the shock of the freezing cold river and tie off a leg to stop him from floating further away.

I then spent the next 15 minutes or so duck diving to pull him out from being wedged before finally managing to drag him out onto the bank.
By this stage the only dog left hunting him had made his way to me so some quick photos were done and then i noticed he had his front browtine shot off by the earlier guy who must have got a case of the old buck fever!

This deer was around the 350pound mark and very big bodied but not a super large set of antlers. Its all about the hunt and hearing those hounds sing is what makes my day, just getting any sort of deer is a bonus!

Hope you all enjoyed reading it and i will post up a few other stories when i get time.

Congrats on a good hunt! Thanks for sharing. I've only deer hunted with dogs once, and it was an awesome experience even without firing a shot. Always enjoy hearing stories and seeing other people that still hunt with dogs.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Dog looks like beagle, did I get that right? A big game hunt behind hounds is on my bucket list. Just think it'd be a pretty cool experience.

Very neat. Love the looks of the harriers. Please keep posting your trips. It's very cool for me to see how folks hunt in other parts of the world.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back