Recipe for Pheasant on slow grill?

BrentD

I have a new grill tonight. It is very similar to a small Green Egg. I've never used a grill that is capable of cooking so slowly using indirect heat, so this is all new to me.

I thought I would fire it up tomorrow, but discovered that I'm entirely out of rodent and ungulate meat that makes pretty simple fair on a grill. I do have a bunch of pheasants still, but they generally don't make great grill food in my experience.

Can anyone offer a recipe to grill pheasants that won't turn them into dried out cardboard? I presume this might be possible using indirect heat very slowly. I'll swap you for a recipe for pheasants on the stove top in cream sauce with smoked paprika and misc. other stuff.

PHEASANT IN CREAM SAUCE MUSHROOMS AND PAPRIKA

INGREDIENTS
• 2 bone pheasant breasts plus legs,
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 2+ teaspoons paprika (smoked if you can find it)
• 2 teaspoons butter
• ½ cup finely chopped onions
• 6-7 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1 cup diced carrots
• 1 cup frozen sweet peas
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 3/4 cup sour cream
• 1 lb fresh mushrooms (portabellas are good)
• Serve over wild riceNutritional Information
o
PREPARATION
1. Sprinkle the breasts with salt, pepper and paprika.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy nonstick skillet large enough to hold the pheasant breasts in one layer. Add the breasts and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Turn the breasts and cook for 3 minutes more. Add the onions, carrots, and thyme. Stir and cook until the onions are wilted. Add the wine to dissolve the brown particles that cling to the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until most of the wine evaporates.
3. Add the heavy cream and peas and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the sour cream, blend well and bring to a boil, stirring until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings and serve very hot.

Hank Shaw.

You'll never do pheasant in any kind of cream sauce again.

I always thought my pheasant cooking would impress the ladies. Thank God I never cooked it for my wife until after we were married.

Even if you have skinned / frozen said bird, either go to Hank's website or get Pheasant, Quail cottontail.

A simple one for the grill, cut pheasant into boneless pieces marinate in equal parts soy, teriyaki, and worchester sauce for ten minutes wrap in bacon and cook on grill til done.

we call these pheasant pin wheels:

cut pheasant breasts in thirds the long way
take a piece of bacon and press it as thin as possible to make it as long as possible
put the pheasant pieces end to end to cover the bacon
take tamed (pickled) jalapenos and put them on top of the pheasant
roll up so they look like a pinwheel. use tooth pick to keep it closed
cover in italian dressing and let sit for an hour
cook on grill on low direct heat (direct-bacon cooks better)

it will look like a burger. We just cut up and eat. It is great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back