Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What should I expect?

uster19

I am going on my first elk hunt this fall in Colorado (rifle). I have Vortex 10x50 binos and a tripod. What is a reasonable distance to be able to spot elk with that setup? My son is going with and I have a set of Binos for him too. I have upgraded my pack, boots, his boots, range finder and some clothes (and bought myself a new bow) so this has been an expensive year already and I haven't even been hunting yet. I don't want to buy a spotter this year if I don't need to.

I don't have a spotter, and use a pair of 10x42 Vortex and have never had a problem spotting deer or elk. I am not field judging antler size either though when they are at a max distance. For your first trip, save your money. You may find out later that you prefer a spotting scope, or see if you could borrow one for the trip?

Bino's with a tripod adapter will show you plenty of ground. For a first trip, I wouldn't worry about spotting scope. Good luck!

While the diamondbacks aren't the greatest, they sure beat not having any or worse looking through your riflescope. You're not likely going to be able to judge whether an animal is trophy quality but you should be able to make out if it's a bull or cow. If you are doing any amount glassing, steadiness is the key and a tripod will definitely help. Mentally grid out your landscape and slowly scan each grid for anything then move to another. Lots of guys just hit a hill with binos for a couple minutes then move on but if you stop and study the landscape you will be able to see things a simple glance would have missed (antler shining in the sun, movements as animals get up to feed midday, etc). You may not be able to see small movements like ear flicks but those type of clues are often only revealed via spotting scope anyway.

It really all depends on the situation. You'll be able to see elk on an open hillside that is lit up by the sun from a long way off. You may not, however, see an elk tucked beneath a tree in the fading light of evening from the same distance. I used 10x42 binocs on a tripod for the first time last year and it was a game changer. Definitely extends your range and allows you to focus a bit better. They're way steadier and its way more convenient than having to hold up your glass all the time. You don't need the spotter unless you're looking for something specific.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking I would be ok with binos on a tripod and no spotter so it is good to hear that confirmed. Since my tag is either sex and I tend to be more of a meat hunter I am not going to be picky.

With 10x42s on a tripod, I have spotted deer from over 2 miles away. It was to count point but I could tell buck from doe. If you are just looking to find elk, I'm guessing you are good to at least 3-4 miles.

I'm heading to WY for a cow hunt in Oct. The spotter will be staying in the truck.

Being from the midwest I really don't even have a need for binos. If I start hunting out west more I will probably invest in a spotter and/or better binos. Thanks for the reply.

Being from the midwest I really don't even have a need for binos. If I start hunting out west more I will probably invest in a spotter and/or better binos. Thanks for the reply.
I thought that until I started using binos here in the midwest. I find the very useful now. Spotted critters with them I wouldn't have otherwise. IMO, good glass is never a bad investment

Elk are large. 10x50s on a tripod are plenty sufficient to spot them. The spotting scope is only extra weight to carry around unless you really care if it's a 330" bull or a 340" bull.

I'm not going to be too picky for my first outing. I would be happy with a cow (elk that is).

Spotting elk and counting tines are two different things. Their big tan bodies can be seen a long ways away with binos.

I have 10 x 42 vortex vipers 15 x 56 vortex vultures & 20 x 60 x 80 vortex spotting scope. I tend to leave the spotting scope in camp & use the 15 x 56 on a tripod & 10 x 42 around my neck.
The 15 x 56 spot anything I am looking for with ease. If your going to put your 10 x 50s on a tripod your good to go.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back