Non-Lead Partnership

Redman

I listed to podcast 87 of hunt talk radio when it came out. It got me thinking. I was already loading up some 150gr .308 Non lead ammo for my daughter to use on elk and mule deer this fall, prior to listening to the podcast. My good friend has used them on everything from antelope to brown bear with excellent results. I have used Nosler BT, AB, and Partitions for decades, I am going to make the switch to a Non-lead round for all my hunting purposes.

I was at my annual Hunter Education training and got to spend all weekend with Chris Parish and Leland Brown. They are genuine great people and hunters. The information they gave the group was outstanding. Our large group of instructors were quite skeptical but after being presented with the information, range time, and seeing the performance of bullets both lead and non-lead they were more at ease with the idea and many of them made the choice to start using non-lead ammo.
I encourage you to listen to the podcast, it will make you think about the possible effects we have on wildlife, both game and non game species.

I loaded up nonlead ammo for my hunting load this year as well. I have been and continue to be against a legal requirement for only using nonlead but for me and those I'll share my spoils with monolithic is what I'll be using

I loaded up nonlead ammo for my hunting load this year as well. I have been and continue to be against a legal requirement for only using nonlead but for me and those I'll share my spoils with monolithic is what I'll be using
100% agree, legal requirements are not the way to go about it. Give hunters the information and a choice. They will have a positive response and everyone will benefit from it including the wildlife. No one cares for wildlife more than we do!

I also just switched over to Barnes ttsx this year. I think its a good idea after hearing different opinions on it.

I switched this year as well. I'd tried a few years ago and went back to accubonds. I think this time I'll stick it out for good.

I've been using Hornady cup and core bullet's for something like 50yrs. They have never failed me. Now other than a lead bullet ban as in California, why would I switch? I think a lot of people with lot's of money to spend or ego to feed get absolutely nut's about a lot of shooting thing's. If I lived in California I'd just move out. Not a lot of states want more Californian's moving in just don't tell them where your from.

I am making the switch this year too. I’ve decided it’s time because I have two young children and we eat venison 4-5 times per week. The potential risk of lead ingestion, while low, isn’t worth it for this parent.

Ive made the switch as well. Im not as concerned about ingestion as a family but I do recognize the relevant environmental concerns. Seems to be a reasonable price to pay.

Does eating lead shot venison equate to drinking from a hose or from my perspective, a fraction of the harm caused to the hose drinking generation?

I've not considered converting from my typical Federal Premium 180gr partition rounds used for my elk. However, in the interest of... Environmental concern (really?) What is the alternative to the above mentioned round, ballistic/impact comparison and the price point?

Any scientific research that supports a level to prompt interest to the average Joe/Jane hunter? I'll listen to the podcast mentioned though for sake of peer reviewed scientific info, any links available to read?
Best to you for making the switch if you find it a level that is worthwhile. What I do not like and not saying it is occurring in single shot rounds, I do not like another's environmental impression forced upon my own environmental impression.

I've begun the transition to lead-free from a shot placement aspect...my untested/unresearched theory is if I send a 180grain E-tip into a shoulder blade of an elk on a slightly botched shot placement is that the retained weight (and subsequent energy) of the bullet will allow for better penetration and possible exit. Also the retained bullet will not explode like a certain brand/style of bullet which shall remain nameless...again this is purely my untested/unresearched/biased theory which could very well be 100% wrong.

I'm still not above shooting a quality bullet like the partition or accubond and I plan on using partitions in my 270 until I burn through them all. I think I'm still a bit curious on some of the pathways lead is absorbed into the body and if say a chunk of bullet poses more harm to my teeth than my overall health. Or does a small fragment (microscopic) spend enough time in my body for it to be worked on my digestive acids for absorption? #notadoctor

The way California did it is about as stupid as it gets!! With that being said the issue I personally have with leadfree is its finicky with certain rifles. I think it goes without saying that you should always tryout new ammunition before taking it into the field. The issue is that nonlead is not only pricey but also the availability. Granted it’s not as bad now as when we were forced to change in California, but it makes it harder for someone getting into huntin. And to top it off in California we can’t even order it online with a pile of bullshit paperwork so you’re stuck to with what the local sporting goods store has on stock

I've not considered converting from my typical Federal Premium 180gr partition rounds used for my elk. However, in the interest of... Environmental concern (really?) What is the alternative to the above mentioned round, ballistic/impact comparison and the price point?

Typically the recommendation is to go down to the next sized bullet and run it faster because with nearly 100% weight retention you still get more mass through the animal than the heavier lead bullet and the extra speed helps with expansion. Given that, a 168 brain Barnes TTSX would be a commonly recommended substitute, but they also have a 180 TTSX that has similar BC to your 180 grain partition if you want closer one-for-one swap. For handloading, the TTSX are usually a couple of bucks cheaper than comparable partitions per box of 50, not sure about loaded.

Last edited:
I guess if I had the slightest concern that my lead rifle bullets were going to harm any animal except the one I'm shooting I'd somewhat consider switching.

I don't. But to each his own.

I guess if I had the slightest concern that my lead rifle bullets were going to harm any animal except the one I'm shooting I'd somewhat consider switching.

I don't. But to each his own.

What is the environmental effect of a jacketed bullet that misses its target and ricochets off of the ground and disappears into the sunset? Assuming that the bullet comes to rest above ground and intact what is the likelihood that another living creature will incur harm from ingesting it?

Ive made the switch as well. Im not as concerned about ingestion as a family but I do recognize the relevant environmental concerns. Seems to be a reasonable price to pay.

Can someone recap the "environmental" concerns of using jacketed lead bullets. I'm all for protecting the environment when prudent to do so. I understand the issues with lead shot in wetlands/waterfowl areas.

Take the shot fall area from a trap range. How far into the ground will lead residues migrate once the lead shot has had time to corrode?

What is the environmental effect of a jacketed bullet that misses its target and ricochets off of the ground and disappears into the sunset? Assuming that the bullet comes to rest above ground and intact what is the likelihood that another living creature will incur harm from ingesting it?

I think it's more if you leave the bullet in the gut pile.

Can someone recap the "environmental" concerns of using jacketed lead bullets. I'm all for protecting the environment when prudent to do so. I understand the issues with lead shot in wetlands/waterfowl areas.

Take the shot fall area from a trap range. How far into the ground will lead residues migrate once the lead shot has had time to corrode?

I don’t know specific environmental concerns held by people but my rationale is reasonably simple. I grew up as an avid waterfowl hunter and understand the concerns about lead contamination in water which has been widely studied and recently made national news in Flint. I don’t know what level of lead is dangerous to anyone or anything but I think limiting or eliminating the introduction of lead into environments it isn’t naturally occurring at surface or near surface level is an act of reasonable care that removes another obstacle to the continued use of public land by hunters.

The amount of lead left in the environment by big game hunters is seemingly insignificant but the narrative pushed by many on the far left touts it as a massive issue. I believe that many who are not philosophically opposed to hunting would find a self imposed ban on lead bullets to be a reassuring concession on the part of hunters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back