Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

BLM land and aggressive sheep dogs

I ran into a couple sheep dogs a few years back. Watched them take down a deer and they weren’t too friendly to me either. Pretty intimidating animals to say the least.

Correction.....a consensus by everyone that doesn't live in Montana...I see a pattern emerging. Note to self....avoid Montana public land or be attacked by Africanized killer bees in a box. Less of couse I have bacon in my pocket.

Again people...this have very little if anything at all to do with hunting the land.

Well that actually happened in the CNF... IE.. So Cal..

For what it’s worth, my guess you are going to have a hard time finding someone to actually take action on this assuming the sheep/dogs are permitted to use the area. I can think of many times similar experiences I have had. Another one that comes to mind, there were a couple thousand ducks landing on a very small section of Blm, we set up only to be aggressively attacked by 3 Texas long horns. Called the local blm office and they told us they had just as much right as us to be there.

Not a new problem in Colorado, and I'm surprised to hear that some of you think it's just fine to have off leash and aggressive dog on public land.

2010 - Attack creates worries in West about sheep dogs
2011 - Concern raised over aggressive sheep dogs
2012 - A simple solution to sheepdog encounters?
2014 - Guard dogs continue to frighten hikers on high mountain trails
2016 - Woman attacked by rancher's dogs receives $1 million settlement

I'd encourage reporting all instances of aggressive guard dogs on public lands to the appropriate federal agency, BLM or USFS.

Some doozy's in there. I think classifying a mountain biker in a race as a "trespasser" is one of the best excuses ever from a rancher.

Legro filed suit against Robinson and his wife, Cheri Robinson, in Eagle County District Court on April 20, 2010.

The court dismissed Legro’s claim, and classified her a “trespasser,” at the time of the attack while she was participating in a Vail Recreation District bike race on public land, according to a release from her lawyers, Bloch & Chapleau.

The Colorado Court of Appeals overturned the dismissal on Dec. 31, and Legro agreed to a $1 million policy limits settlement from Robinson’s insurance company soon after, her lawyers said.

According to The Vail Daily, Robinson has since stopped using guard dogs, and said the year after the dog attack, predators and domestic dogs killed 26 percent of his sheep.

“When you come to terms where we can’t protect our livestock and can’t protect our livelihood, it’s just not worth it anymore,” said Tony Theos, a Meeker, Colo. sheep rancher.

Correction.....a consensus by everyone that doesn't live in Montana...I see a pattern emerging. Note to self....avoid Montana public land or be attacked by Africanized killer bees in a box. Less of couse I have bacon in my pocket.

Again people...this have very little if anything at all to do with hunting the land.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Africanized killer bees.... However hunting with bacon in you pocket in most parts of Montana can invite more problems than agressive sheep dogs. :)

I'm not saying it's okay to have agressive sheep dogs on public lands. I'm saying it's part of sheep herding industry which is one of the multiple use activities allowed on public lands. You can fight it at the user level by trying to get grazing stopped (good luck with that one), you can hunt the same areas and be prepared to defend yourself and deal with the frustration of dogs and sheep in the areas you want to hunt, or you can move on to less crowded areas. Whatever you decide is up to you, if killing an elk and enjoying a quality hunting experience is paramount, I personally would move on. There are lots of elk in bachelor groups in other areas.

Shoot 'em. Fear of serious bodily harm or loss of life, is the typical defined use of lethal force.
With that, popping off rounds... You might as well hunt elsewhere as the gunshots may have alerted the game being hunted to your location, if they did not move on.
Not worth the value of my hunt though maybe others place more value in... Hunting elk.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Africanized killer bees.... However hunting with bacon in you pocket in most parts of Montana can invite more problems than agressive sheep dogs. :)

I'm not saying it's okay to have agressive sheep dogs on public lands. I'm saying it's part of sheep herding industry which is one of the multiple use activities allowed on public lands. You can fight it at the user level by trying to get grazing stopped (good luck with that one), you can hunt the same areas and be prepared to defend yourself and deal with the frustration of dogs and sheep in the areas you want to hunt, or you can move on to less crowded areas. Whatever you decide is up to you, if killing an elk and enjoying a quality hunting experience is paramount, I personally would move on. There are lots of elk in bachelor groups in other areas.

Or maybe the herder should be required to stay with his/her sheep and dogs while grazing on public land? Seems like an obvious solution to me.

I'm surprised elk were there. The areas we've hunted with domestic sheep had no elk, had to find an area without herding dogs.

Report the dogs, yes they have every right to be grazing the land but not to harass big game or threaten humans. I'm thinking once you pull that trigger on one you may have to dispatch them all.

Like Wytex said, move on. My experience has been that once sheep move through, elk move out. I'm not sure if its the gnarly guard dogs, the presence of 1000 plus sheep, or the unbearable racket they produce. It could be the fact that every blade of grass in that high country meadow has been either eaten, trampled or pissed on.

Not a new problem in Colorado, and I'm surprised to hear that some of you think it's just fine to have off leash and aggressive dog on public land.

I'd encourage reporting all instances of aggressive guard dogs on public lands to the appropriate federal agency, BLM or USFS.
"

Interesting links.

As conflicts continue to occur, it's obvious that the idea of allowing privately owned uncontrolled aggressive canines to roam our public lands is going to be the loser. It's unacceptable, and would piss me off in the same way a pitbull threatening me and my kids on the street would. From a public safety perspective it is no different.

I think you should hunt where you wanna hunt, and if a conflict arises with the dogs, the dogs will be the losers.

I ran into a couple sheep dogs a few years back. Watched them take down a deer and they weren’t too friendly to me either. Pretty intimidating animals to say the least.

I've rarely seen herders pack much for dog food, those flea bags are certainly eating something.

My experience is like others, if the sheep are present the elk usually aren't.

Montana has a lot more off leash aggressive "dogs" on our public lands than Colorado. Just saying. :D

I have dealt with a fair share of sheep dogs working on BLM land in Nevada, as well as cowboying on places in Mt that also run sheep and they do pose an interesting problem. My only advice is if you do decide things get down to shooting serious, be sure you're justified. If it turns out you aren't, you could be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars worth of dogs. LGD's arent cheap, and animals also have a way of creeping up in value once they're dead too. I wont comment as to livestock grazing on public lands since that is largely what my job relates to.

I have dealt with a fair share of sheep dogs working on BLM land in Nevada, as well as cowboying on places in Mt that also run sheep and they do pose an interesting problem. My only advice is if you do decide things get down to shooting serious, be sure you're justified. If it turns out you aren't, you could be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars worth of dogs. LGD's arent cheap, and animals also have a way of creeping up in value once they're dead too. I wont comment as to livestock grazing on public lands since that is largely what my job relates to.

The last option would be to end the life of one or more dogs. However....if I am surrounded by several aggressive dogs, on public land, growling, snarling and with hair standing on end, I am fairly certain any action I choose to take, including shooting them, would be very justified. Maybe I'm wrong...but I doubt it.

Almost had to shoot a sheep herders dog during a ML season a few years back. Routt Nat'l forest.

Never did see the herder, did find his trailer.

Some doozy's in there. I think classifying a mountain biker in a race as a "trespasser" is one of the best excuses ever from a rancher.

Legro filed suit against Robinson and his wife, Cheri Robinson, in Eagle County District Court on April 20, 2010.

The court dismissed Legro’s claim, and classified her a “trespasser,” at the time of the attack while she was participating in a Vail Recreation District bike race on public land, according to a release from her lawyers, Bloch & Chapleau.

The Colorado Court of Appeals overturned the dismissal on Dec. 31, and Legro agreed to a $1 million policy limits settlement from Robinson’s insurance company soon after, her lawyers said.

According to The Vail Daily, Robinson has since stopped using guard dogs, and said the year after the dog attack, predators and domestic dogs killed 26 percent of his sheep.

“When you come to terms where we can’t protect our livestock and can’t protect our livelihood, it’s just not worth it anymore,” said Tony Theos, a Meeker, Colo. sheep rancher.

I wish all the prairie maggot ranchers felt the way you do Tony Theos.

Ran into my fair share of mean dogs here in southern Idaho, the only time I ever felt the need to shoot one was when the bastard essentially locked me out of my truck on my hike back from sitting a water hole. I only had a bow with me and would have been shooting towards my truck so I was in a bit of a pickle, thankfully the herder came by a little later and got the dog with some colorful words about the dog. If you do shoot ensure you're justified and possibly get the advisement from a local Leo and not some guys on the internet first.

Back