Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

BLM land and aggressive sheep dogs

The defendants in this case, which was settled out of court with confidentiality, have received over half a million CO sportsman's license dollars from CPW since these assaults took place, for game damage claims of black bears killing their domestic sheep, largely on public land in occupied bighorn sheep habitat.

Looks like I was off a bit. Here are the approved claims over $20,000 approved since 2011. Claims of less than $20,000 are not posted online. These are sportsman's dollars going to a single producer and his sons for bear and mountain lion depredation, much of which occurred on public lands.

March 2011 - $57,120.30
March 2012 - $109,420.67
March 2013 - $74,196.49
March 2014 - $21,274.76
March 2015 - $66,694.50
May 2015 - $68,943.99
March 2016 - $62,045.51
May 2016 - $35,641.19
May 2017 - $30,007.00
July 2017 - $31,521.55
July 2018 - $70,859.19
Total - $627,725.15

There are some interesting federal LIP and LFP claims as well:

James Craig Bair

Bair Bros.

All the lion dogs I've seen are much better-trained than the sheep dogs I've had encounters with, if the shepherd can't control their dogs, well, they shouldn't have the dogs. A verbal-control law is just fine in my book if it gets the sheep dogs under control along with all the clowns from the city who think it's ok to let their family pet run amok in the woods because "he'd never hurt a fly!" Last summer I saw a dog chasing a cow moose and her calf down a trail at a full run while the dog's owners had no idea it was even going on.

Again. This could lead to banning a lot of hunting practices and is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Watch the video randy published a few weeks about a Tyler Johnerson https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...er-Johnerson-Lion-King&highlight=lion+hunting

It's not uncommon for lion and/or upland dogs to be beyond verbal control distances fora period of time. Certainly requiring dogs to have GPS collars is a possibility, but sheep dogs don't roam so if the herd knows where there flock is nothing where the dog is really isn't the issue.

My earlier points were that the dog thing is a red herring, and isn't a battle worth having. Oak's posts clearly show the really issues at hand, and what we as sportsmen and conversationalist should be focused on.

Looks like I was off a bit. Here are the approved claims over $20,000 approved since 2011. Claims of less than $20,000 are not posted online. These are sportsman's dollars going to a single producer and his sons for bear and mountain lion depredation, much of which occurred on public lands.

March 2011 - $57,120.30
March 2012 - $109,420.67
March 2013 - $74,196.49
March 2014 - $21,274.76
March 2015 - $66,694.50
May 2015 - $68,943.99
March 2016 - $62,045.51
May 2016 - $35,641.19
May 2017 - $30,007.00
July 2017 - $31,521.55
July 2018 - $70,859.19
Total - $627,725.15

There are some interesting federal LIP and LFP claims as well:

James Craig Bair

Bair Bros.

I hope people on this site are listening to you, Oak. You do an amazing job advocating for not only wild sheep, but all wildlife and the hunters you are a community leader for. I can't thank you enough for the time and financial sacrifice you/family make for the cause of wild things and wild places. If there is something we can do with our platforms that would be helpful to the cause, please let me know.

Thanks for the information fellas. I'm not from the area and don't have experience, but it's been interesting to follow the conversation.

OP - You need to stop comparing BLM to your local park or sidewalk. They're not comparable at all.

#7 - Don't know if the stray yesterday was located. If not, there will be no action taken.

Update - Five (5) USFS and CPW personnel spent all day Tuesday on an unsuccessful search for the stray in 4-8" of fresh snow. A few notes from the summary I received:

• The stray domestic sighting was approximately 5.7 air miles away from the location where domestics are taken off the allotment. Domestics were removed from the allotment about 2 ½ weeks before the sighting.
  • The stray domestic was about 3.5 air miles outside the permitted allotment. It was within core bighorn summer home range. The reported location is less than a half mile from GPS point locations of a radio collared bighorn ram’s summer use area.

Side note: a really nice ram was killed by an archery hunter a day after the stray sighting, 1.2 air miles away.

Bear spray. Those dogs would of given you a wide berth after getting hit with some of that and you would not have to worry about what could come if you had killed one of them.

But I believe the best possible solution would of been avoidance. Would wouldn't hunt the same area as a group of noisy, drunk hunters would you? Same principle

Bird dogs and hounds aren't running around public lands chasing quarry other than what they are trained to target. They also aren't aggressive towards people. Lastly, people are actively out there with a dog, many of which now days are tracked with a gps. These dogs are not left to roam.

Times change and you need to adapt. My family owns a small business, so we know as well as anyone. Sounds like the sheep herders need to adapt and get with the times. Just because you have always done something doesn't mean it will always continue. I know that if there were aggressive sheep dogs on public lands in Wisconsin they would not last very long

Update - Five (5) USFS and CPW personnel spent all day Tuesday on an unsuccessful search for the stray in 4-8" of fresh snow. A few notes from the summary I received:

• The stray domestic sighting was approximately 5.7 air miles away from the location where domestics are taken off the allotment. Domestics were removed from the allotment about 2 ½ weeks before the sighting.
  • The stray domestic was about 3.5 air miles outside the permitted allotment. It was within core bighorn summer home range. The reported location is less than a half mile from GPS point locations of a radio collared bighorn ram’s summer use area.

Side note: a really nice ram was killed by an archery hunter a day after the stray sighting, 1.2 air miles away.

Update #2 - This domestic sheep got a taxpayer funded helicopter ride out of the backcountry yesterday.

Update #2 - This domestic sheep got a taxpayer funded helicopter ride out of the backcountry yesterday.

A single 22lr round could have accomplished as much at a much reduced cost. Unreal

What a shit show. What is the length of the term on their lease before it is renewed/ up for bid or whatever happens?

Oak, what are the regs as far as getting a lease? Given enough funding could an org like RMBS or BHA lease these areas or are their stipulations beyond the cost, i.e. there is a requirement that you actually graze sheep on them.

Oak, what are the regs as far as getting a lease? Given enough funding could an org like RMBS or BHA lease these areas or are their stipulations beyond the cost, i.e. there is a requirement that you actually graze sheep on them.

No, the leases are tied to a base operation of deeded land.

What a shit show. What is the length of the term on their lease before it is renewed/ up for bid or whatever happens?

I believe this particular (10 year) permit expires this December. Given that NEPA was completed the last time it was processed (2009), it is likely to be renewed for 10 more years with the same terms and conditions. This is just a single allotment among hundreds of problematic allotments in CO. The map below depicts active BLM and USFS domestic sheep allotments overlaid on BHS overall range.

CO_BHS_overall_active_DS_allotments.jpg

As JLS mentioned, there is a base property requirement for holding grazing permits. In general there is a requirement to utilize permits unless the agency has granted voluntary non-use for resource protection. You can find more information than you really want here.

Not really relevant to sheepdogs, but since I've highlighted recent Colorado domestic sheep/bighorn sheep conflicts in earlier pages of this thread I thought I would bump it and add this sighting from this afternoon. This is on a Forest Service allotment in a Tier 1 bighorn sheep herd in southwestern Colorado.

IMG_4084.jpeg

Never ever approach working sheepdogs. Protecting the flock is what they do. They aren’t cuddly pets.

I'm not sure what the rules are in CO, but if you see dogs chasing wildlife here in MN you can legally shoot the dog. The rules do change once the deer season starts, then only a game warden can shoot them, but the rest of the year, it's open season if I see it. I believe that is the rule without actually going to look, I suggest you call the game and fish or read the rule book, you might be able to shoot a few of them :) If a dog comes at me...well...I will for sure shoot it.
According my IDFG Conservation Officer, it is not legal for a citizen to shoot a dog harassing wildlife in Idaho unless it threatens them directly. Your only recourse here is to send the warden video.
I had issues with a couple of mongrels who would come by my ground blind every morning at around shooting light. When I sent video to my CO, he contacted the owners. Their answer was a predictable, "Our darlings are never out of the yard." He was able to show them the video and give them a warning that we live in a leash law county and they were accountable for any mayhem on the dog's part.
No more morning visits from the dogs.

The street in front of my house is also public land. Am I allowed to let a pack of aggressive dogs roam free around the front of my home? There are signed and posted trails everywhere......doesnt seem very safe to me. There are zero signs posted about guard dogs. This isn't about hunting. It's about being safe on "our" public lands. This is a place that a family could bring their kids and dogs for a hike. Im not "bitching" online about it. I am asking opinions from educated outdoorsmen and there seems to be a consensus.
I suggest you call the CPW or County Sheriff enforcement line and ask what your options are. Then you will get the actual law as it applies to you rather a bunch of us telling you what we would do in our State.

BTDT tip. Do not call and tell them you are going to shoot some dogs if someone doesn't do something about it. My above interaction with IDFG didn't start off well because that was the approach I used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back